Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Cameras In Nurseries

Do you have these in place and if so how do you work your confidentiality and child protection?

Presumably the parents can go online and watch their child at play. What happens if a parent doesnt want their child on camera, or if a child is hit by another child and the parents see. What do you do about the parents who want to view their child from their office computer, who else could be watching? Can you be 100% that parents arent saying to work collegues 'come and look at little charlie with his friends' One of whom could be living in a secret location. What about sound, can the parents hear you and if so, how do you talk about the fact that little charlies dad isnt allowed to pick him up anymore, or little sally has just been diagnosed HIV positive, obviously you cant keep leaving the room to pass on this information.

All answers gratefully received. :D

I don't know about those, but the weekend before our care inspection in March the church centre (where our preschool meets) put up CCTV cameras overlooking our outdoor play area for security purposes as they had had some vandalism and theft. When our OFSTED inspector came on the Monday morning and saw the cctv cameras she was horrified. She put an immediate action in us to put procedures in place to "prevent inappropriate monitoring of the pictures". We have now arranged with the church centre manager that only those who have been CRB vetted will view the pictures and then only for reasons of monitoring the safety and security of the premises. Measures are also in place to ensure that the pictures are stored safely (on a password-protected computer) and not available to just anyone.

Ofsted are now happy with our arrangements, but I can't imagine what our Ofsted inspector would have thought of having camera images of the children on the internet! After all parents of our children have not been CRB vetted.

Hope that helps

Carolyn

I hadnt time to read the web page you gave but it's saved for later. :)

Carolyn, thats exactly what I meant, how can you always ensure the images are only viewed by CRB checked people? I'd be interested to hear how Ofsted deal with the nurseries that have installed the web cam's. I'll read the site mousebat gave but as it's trying to sell them I cant see them telling of the things from the angle I'm looking at! :o:D

yes it is trying to sell webcams and of course it's going to be biased but look beyond that......as you said you hadn't looked at the site try it first before you dismiss it completely.

I added the link for people who don't know much about how the webcams workin a nursery situation. I found it interesting. It gives you an idea of what webcams do in some detail and may answer some of your questions.

Don't forget The data protection website for the legal aspects.

Google is a wondeful tool which is where I got the info from - go surf there's plenty of information out there.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)