Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Safety Helmets

No we didnt.. reasons..

Fitting of the helmet has to be correct for it to be effective, this can take time and one helmet would not be suitable for all. it is often said that the only cyclists who actually have them correctly fitted and worn correctly are professional cyclists...

helmets should not be worn by children near climbing equipment or in play... straps can be a 'hanging' hazard...

cycle helmets

we had such a small area which had safety surface that we never had the question asked... chances of getting enough speed to cause a problem by falling from a trike were impossible...

Can I see yet another risk assessment being mentioned here... :o

Inge

I've often thought about this too....

I NEVER let my children on anything with wheels without a helmet... out of consistency more than anything else ... yet when at school why don't wear them.

so on one side I would say it would be good practice

But..

it's also quite impractical apart from anything else! safety rules say that you should replace a helmet if it gets dropped... can you imagine?

I'm interested so see what others say..

I have hear that Winther bikes provide a helment with each bike you purchase..

:oxD

Raises lots of questions for me :o fitting the helmet, storing them correctly, checking for wear and tear (apparently an ill-fitting or damaged helmet is a danger on it's own) and, from experience with my daughter when she was little, the risk of fingers or neck/chin getting caught in the buckle! And thats BEFORE the childrfen realise the helmets are great for swinging round by the straps...................

Nona

What do you think about if parents wish to supply their child with one then we will use it???

That sounds like a reasonable compromise if the parents are concerned but I'd ask them to sign to say they're responsible for providing, fitting and checking it for wear and tear and that you, or your staff, will advise them immediately of any incidents which may damage the helmet.

I know that seems a little "over the top" (as so many things do!) but I feel you may at some time have to justify to either another parent or Ofsted why it was felt that one child needed safety equipment when the others don't. How would that affect your risk assessments? Would you explain it as "partnership with parents" i.e. following their requests

Not sure I'm explaining myself very well :o hope you understand!

Nona

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)