Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Free Flow

Hi everyone,

I'm in desperate need of help with planning free flow activities on teaching practice.I know that they need to have a purpose though I'm finding it difficult to understand how the things link together and how to approach the planning. Could anyone please explain the concept to me or perhaps share some plans? I'd be most grateful for any help from all you experienced people :o

Thanks

P.S Do you base free flow activities on your topic for that week or on particular skills i.e. fine motor?

The areas I have in the classroom are writing area, maths area, creative, book corner, role play/home corner and small world.

Sorry for the questions but I'm sure you guys can help me! :o

There are good ideas for developing play on Herefordshire's website(I think, I am sure some one has already mentioned them on this site, I will try to get back with more details) In the mean time, this is what I do.

You don't have to stick slavishly to topics and try to link everything you do to them, if you know, or can find out the children's interests and learning needs go with these,

my penguin small in the water tray came from loads of enthusiasm reading the book. not mediuim term plans for transport.

I annotate these further to show which are adult or child iniated

play_for_week__3.doc

Planning for play is available on Herefordshire's website WWW.education.herefordshire.gov.uk/EY.ASP with templates for plans and other information.

Two more good resources to help with planning are

Focus on Planning by Lewisham Early Years Advice and resource network (020 8695 9806 for info)

Planning for Progress 2 (www.learningdesign.biz or 020 7093 4051)

unfortunately both cost about £30

We usually change activites each week, but it really depends on the children. A popular activity may be extended over days or weeks but if no one seems interested or the children ask for something else we may change after a day or so.( the sand castle building was a continuation from just buckets, it went on to smaller containers and small junk items for more detailed buildings and ended up with a moat causing destruction of the castles but interesting if messy explorations of what you can and can't do with very wet sand. Then it needed a complete change of tack and chance to dry out)

So if I was to use my learning intentions from my main teaching activities and plan the weekly free flow around the same intentions to enhance what they have learnt, is that along the right lines? I think I'm getting to grips with it now!

:o

That sounds good to me, Peaches.

Free- flow is usually used to describe the childrens accessing of the activities rather than the nature of the activiites but could indicate that the activities are independent rather than guided although you may also want to have some adult guided or focus activities running alongside.

Hi

I also used to put out activities that the children had done as adult led activities the week before. The children really enjoyed this and were often playing the role of the 'teacher'. It was good to see them working independently on something which they found the week before quite difficult. Working this way also meant that through adult led activities I could teach them a game and then they would play this the following week and would also teach their friends how to play it!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)