Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Post It Notes Etc

Now we have all been experimenting with the use of post it notes to record WOW moments/developments for the children has anyone taken this further and developed a more manageable system. I have gone back to using a notebook instead of putting up post its then having to collect them all and decifer them.

Anyone got a WOW idea that they want to share?

We do a bit of everything.....wow stickers, sticky labels, post its, note book, scraps of paper......anything....looks all very colourful when collated! :o

We have a clipboard each with a page of stickers that fit our learning journey records perfectly. I just use the stickers, and keep them all on the clipboard until I am able to stick them in the records.

Clare

Hi

We did use post-its but found bits got lost and put in the wrong places. So now we have 'Look, Listen and Note sheets. Each child has a sheet that has all six areas of learning. Whoever is 'LL&N' when child-initiated time they fill in any observations. For others that are not 'LL&N' but observe something they use sticky labels and these get stuck on the 'LL&N' sheets. That way all observations are together.

Brownie x

how big are the sticky labels you use. We use post it notes but they have lost their stick by the time it comes to sticking them in learning journeys so i end up having to glue each one which takes forever!!

we use big stickers on sheets from Staples but i think you can get them all over. we then put them through the printer new_obs_lables_bigger.doc and they are stuck in the children's learning profiles we have found over the years this is an easy way of observing when inside or out when they are on a clipboard. we also use wow cards daily in the form of dinosaur footprints again printed out with a variety of well done comments and room for the child's name they then go around the room as well as going home, it came from the obession that the children seem to have at the moment for dinosaurs!!! :o

new_obs_lables_bigger.doc

I just use small stickers - think about 21 to a page. I tend to note wow things they say or do - sometimes if a child takes up a lot of room, then I just keep going and use lots of stickers. I also did the post-it thing, but like others - they never stick and got lost. stickers is much more manageable for me and my ta. I have a drawer in my classroom that all observations go into, including those from the parents and once a sticker sheet is full it goes in there - and then roughly once a week I update their learning journals.

We also use sticky address labels - 14 to a page. If further notes are needed we just carry onto the next label. The sheets are then put into a magazine rack along with photos and paper-based creations that the children have made, these are then stuck into learning journals fortnightly or more often if we seem to have more than usual.

Included on our labels are the 6 areas of learning to circle, date and a scale of 1 to 5 for Involvement and Wellbeing. I will upload them for you.

Green Hippo x

obs_labels.doc

Edited by green hippo

I did that before the new edition came out, but we found it was too expensive for us to manage. In hindsight im looking at going back to doing that though, or purchasing the Pedagogs sets, as its so time consuming and they work out less than £2 per child! they just seem expensive on first sight.

it's very rare we use the actual phrases from the EYFS, more what they did or what they said onto a sticker that then goes in their file, we put a coloured dot on each sticker for the area it fits into e.g. red for ps&ed, purple for kuw, green for cl&ld etc some things cover a few so get more spots, just at a glance through stickers we can see if child is developing in all areas or if an area is obviously lacking, then its matching up to developmental age bands that I dont personally like doing, im afraid i have a tick sheet for each child with the statements on this also helps plan their what next? sheet.

I did that before the new edition came out, but we found it was too expensive for us to manage. In hindsight im looking at going back to doing that though, or purchasing the Pedagogs sets, as its so time consuming and they work out less than £2 per child! they just seem expensive on first sight.

We do the post it notes , everyone is encouraged to write about the children and we have a small(a5 ish) size card on the wall for every child with their foto on . The post its get put on at the end of each session and I collect them at the end of each week to collate in each childs personal file where there are 6 sheets for the areas of learning. It only takes about an hour to do and you can get a picture of the child as you are doing it. We always date each post it. Also you can see at a glance which children are being observed as they are on the wall.

We like it !!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)