Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Phase 1 And 2 Phonics

Hey there. I'm jointly delivering some LA training around Phase 1 and 2 Letter and Sounds in a few weeks. It is for PVIs and childminders. I just wondered whether anyone had any input on what sort of thing they would find useful from such a training. Would it be understanding of phonics, practical games or anything else?

Any ideas much appreciated.

I wonder about the logistics of the whole thing. Some of my staff went to training and it was recommended that we do something every day. But we have 2 - 5 yr olds all at very different stages in phase 1, we have limited space and its hard to devise an activity that fits all, and we have to do it together otherwise you don't get listening opportunities as the others disturb us! Also it seems kind of seperate from EYFS planning so simething els to do. I was advised by a lead practitioner that the best way to do it was to forget about it and you do it any way?!

As a Reception teacher, a big emphasis on Phase 1 (as opposed to moving children on to Phase 2 too quickly) would be much appreciated! Maybe it is just my area, but I find lots of pre schools (and particularly day nurseries) seem to 'push' the letter sounds. Maybe it is because they feel the parents expect it, I don't know. Unless the children have good listening/sound discrimination skills, they won't be able to move on to blending and segmenting when they are ready for it. Carmen mentioned about not being able to do something everyday - I am sure you are doing it everyday just through your everyday routines. Anyway, I am not in a pre school or nursery so feel free to ignore!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)