Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Literacy Evening For Parents

Guest kelh81

Hi all,

We are holding a literacy information evening for parents next week and my role is to talk about early reading skills and the application of phonics for children in Foundation Stage and KS1. My colleague will be talking about the discreet phonics sessions, explaining the terminology and progression of the phases, so my role is to look at how children apply the skills they learn in phonics when they are reading. Has anyone got any ideas or resources they can suggest? I only have to talk for 5-10 minutes so it's literally a quick whistlestop tour but any ideas will be gratefully received! Or if you can point me in the direction of any previous discussions on here, I've tried searching but haven't found anything so far.

Many thanks :o

You could make up a load of nonsense words for them to 'read' using phonic knowledge. May help them to understand how strings of letters look strange and undeciferable to a child when they first start to read.

I did a Phonics Workshop recently for parents and one of the things I did was to ask everyone to sort a range of words by how many sounds they had in them. (We used circles on a PowerPoint slide for parents and hoops on the floor for the children) It caused lots of discussion as most parents had no idea how to count sounds in words and got lots of them wrong first time!

It really helped the parents to think about some of the things involved in reading and see how they could help their children with segmenting and blending words.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)