Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Teaching In A Carousel Style In Year 1 Or 2.

Yes I'm using a carousel in the afternoons - mornings are slightly more formal manly because I've inherited a class that was very formal (working in complete silence - no carpet area - lots of teacher talk )

Basically I have four or five activities coving different aspects of the topic and the children move around in their groups.

cooking a healthy lunch for Mr Grindling

making a lighthouse

making a circuit to light the bulb

designing sandwiches for the seagulls

building a boat that floats

inventing a new breakfast cereal

designing making the packaging

writing an advertising slogan

videoing the cereal advert

interviewing other classes to see which they would buy and why

it may take more than one afternoon to complete the carousel

I'm managing to follow the children's interests but my maths lesson is discrete teaching not linked to any theme as I've discovered the majority of the children need basic knowledge reinforced. I'm not adopting a set topic for the term/half term so we have some flexibility but neither am I making Y2 look identical to EYFS either.

I had a pre OFSTED inspection on Friday and was rated very good on ECM (use of space - resource organisation - effective management - pupils confidence) so I feel things are moving in the right direction...I'll get where I think we should be eventually

Recently an advisor came into our school to help with the change to a more EYFS style of working in year one and two. She was actually very good, gave lots of positive feedback on what we had done so far and sensible advice, as well as being a nice lady who stuck up for us in terms of us getting some resources.

One of the things she said though in no uncertain terms was that teaching in a carousel style in year one or two for literacy and numeracy was "a mistake a lot of teachers make. Don't do it." I can see her point regarding things such as differentiation becomming less effective (particuarly in maths) if everyone is moving around the same set tasks. Also I think one of her points was that it doesn't give children who are slower time to get to the end of tasks because there is the pressure to move them on to the next activity or push the higher ability ones to do something more. I can see her point, especially in my class where some of my higher ability are my slowest and most methodical workers.

I'd be interested to hear what other people think of this though?

Recently an advisor came into our school to help with the change to a more EYFS style of working in year one and two. She was actually very good, gave lots of positive feedback on what we had done so far and sensible advice, as well as being a nice lady who stuck up for us in terms of us getting some resources.

One of the things she said though in no uncertain terms was that teaching in a carousel style in year one or two for literacy and numeracy was "a mistake a lot of teachers make. Don't do it." I can see her point regarding things such as differentiation becomming less effective (particuarly in maths) if everyone is moving around the same set tasks. Also I think one of her points was that it doesn't give children who are slower time to get to the end of tasks because there is the pressure to move them on to the next activity or push the higher ability ones to do something more. I can see her point, especially in my class where some of my higher ability are my slowest and most methodical workers.

I'd be interested to hear what other people think of this though?

I only use a carousel system in the afternoons and teach literacy and numeracy in the mornings. I have a huge range of abilities in the class (EP has assessed one child below 2 years and 6 months and at the other end of the scale I have children access KS2 work) although if tasks are differentiated by outcome ( 3 sentences for some children a full page for others 10 calculations for one group 30 for another for example) the time factor isn't an issue. It is also possible in maths to grade the level of difficulty so the first 10 are easy the next 10 slightly harder etc.

Thats interesting Kariana, my interpretation has been devalued and I have been advised to adopt a carousel teaching style although I can allow children to move round at their own pace, so Im struggling to get to terms with expectations. Ive also been told not to differeniate by outcome. Why are there so many mixed messages? :o

If tasks are differentiated by outcome ( 3 sentences for some children a full page for others 10 calculations for one group 30 for another for example) the time factor isn't an issue. It is also possible in maths to grade the level of difficulty so the first 10 are easy the next 10 slightly harder etc.

I have done this previously, although every course or advisor I've ever spoken to seems to think it's not the right thing to do, especially in maths. They argue that there is no point giving children more of the same thing if they can already do it, or wasting children's time doing easy questions before they move onto the harder ones if they already know how to do the easy ones. I'm not sure where they think 'revising and consollidating' comes into this, or indeed practising in order to get quicker (particularly in maths with things like number bonds). I just wish some of these people would actually consider how you're supposed to organise it if you do neither of these things, no one I've spoken to seems to be able to give a particularly good answer.

Edited by Guest

I have done this previously, although every course or advisor I've ever spoken to seems to think it's not the right thing to do, especially in maths. They argue that there is no point giving children more of the same thing if they can already do it, or wasting children's time doing easy questions before they move onto the harder ones if they already know how to do the easy ones. I'm not sure where they think 'revising and consollidating' comes into this, or indeed practising in order to get quicker (particularly in maths with things like number bonds). I just wish some of these people would actually consider how you're supposed to organise it if you do neither of these things, no one I've spoken to seems to be able to give a particularly good answer.

I hink you htave missed the point the children aren't being given more of the same, they are being given an extension on three or more levels.

Some children may be asked to complete 10 calculations using single digit numbers another group an 20 but this time involving double digits while a third may be asked to complete another set using three digits or the same type of questions but presented in a problem form.

• 3 months later...

We do integrated maths and literacy in the morning and I LOVE IT! I did a creative play based curriclum last year, and having to plan activities for maths and literacy every morning for each session was so so hard word - never mind trying to make activities fun and engaging for the whole time they are supposed to be doing it. My mornings pan out along these lines:

Pirate topic. Letter left in the classroom from a pirate saying that our class puppet has been stolen! Lots of speaking and listening around this. Tell children that teh pirate has said to get him back they must complete a set of challenges. Show children the different activities set out.

Main teacher input : how to use the co-ordinates on a map on the IWB (this is one of the activities.)

Carousel of activities:

- Plotting different objects on a map. LA to plot them anywhere and then have to tell teh teacher the co ordinates orally. Support as needed. HA and MA have to put certain objects on specific co ordinates

- With the TA. Following instructions to find the puppet outside concentrating on half and quater turns / left and right. TA to adjust depending on ability

- Individual treasure chest with objects and price tags on. Children to add two of the objects together. MA to write as a number sentence on white boards. HA to add three objects together.

-Writing letters to the the pirate trying to persuade him to bring the puppet back

- CVC objects in a treasure chest for the LA to label

-Writing instructions on how to be a pirate.

- Classroom set up in relation to the topic so children can also access the continuous provision

These activities would last for the whole morning. After break I would then do a literacy main in-put (maybe a shared write as a group writing a letter to the pirate, demonstrating how to compose a sentence.) I also stop throughout the morning to show children doing good work to inspire the others, or get them back on to the carpet if a few children are struggling with an activity.)

I am very lucky and have a TA every morning - she pulls out children throughout the morning and does group work with them. I do not plan for myslef to work with a group - I assess it as I go along and work with the children who need. I find this also makes it easy to differentiate as I can adjust activities to challenge children as needed. I often start children off on an activity (e.g. the map co-ordinate as they had not done this before, then leave them whilst I go around the other children.)

I do not group the children - I let them choose which activity they want to do. When they have finished they bring it to me and I stamp it if it is their best work then they can choose the next activity (children working with the TA go according to ability group.) I then pull out children to work with me if needed / move them on to another activity if they are being silly / fed up with their activity.

Hope that helps!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)