Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Planned Observations

Ive been trawling through pages (looking at almost every title and finding out lots of useful bits and tips!!) and realised prehaps i should just post my own to try and find my answer.....

I wondered how often people are carry out planned observations? and do you do it just for one child at a time or for a group? How long for and ever any focus? Or just to find interests and next steps? Also does anyone have any proformas they use for this? i already use post its and photos etc regularly but having read lots of these messages feel maybe planned observations is something I need to include more.

Thank you very much for any help - it will be greatly appreciated! :)

I do one per child every half term, for 10 minutes. I don't plan for any area, just write what I see. I usually find they are really useful. I plan next steps on all obs where appropriate and cover these either as adult led tasks if a few children show similar next steps, or target individual children in their play to support/extend or enhance provision for these children. It works out at 5 children a week. I just have a sheet where I record the time, area of provision, links to scale points and space for next steps.

I'll scan the guidance for wellbeing and involvement scoring sheets on Tuesday and post them on here then.

Obs from parents.... I would just staple together with one of our sheets and circle the FSP points it shows evedence for.

Same with children's offerings/ markmaking they bring in from home.... if they will allow me to keep them!

Edited by Guest

Riverview, your observation sheet is very useful and I appreciate that you are trying to help but your scanned doc appears to be copyrighted and as such we need to acknowledge the source of the info rather than the info itself.

Do you have a lnk that members can reach the original documents with please?

We are in a PVI setting and use very similar type to Riverview only difference is we ask the child what he has enjoyed and have a space for parents to add comment and sign

Our wb and I is on a different sheet

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)