Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Teaching Time

Hello everyone,

Our numeracy theme next week is time - ordering days of the week and difference between day and night.Can anyone suggest any fun interesting activities or useful websites i could use?

thanks

Ive usually approached this with stories.

Had a nice story called Mr Bear Goes to Town but cant remember the author and seem to have misplaced it when I left my last school--probably still in the cupboard there! This told what Mr Bear did each day when he went to town! Have then made time lines adding to it each day of something that we did in school on that day.(or concertina books)

Likewise, children do ususally have an idea of the differences between night and day and have tried to capitalise on this and consolidate their knowledge.

Not sure how exciting it is though! You could make a game with day and night activities?

Hi shootingstar

Have you seen the Colin Hawkins books What's the time Mr Wolf? and Mr Wolf's Week. The first goes through the day from breakfast to bedtime and the second has each day of the week with different weather, so rain one day, snow another etc. from Monday to Sunday.

Linda

Definitely use stories - The Mr Wolf ones are particularly good, in my opinion.

Do they know the days of the week song? (We sing this everyday)

There's also the poem Monday's Child.

Can they sort pics into day/night

Discuss differences between day and night pictures?

Draw and/or sequence pics of "My Day" - just key things that happen at home and school?

Hope there's something here you can use! :o

Oh, it's really easy (but I can't sing you the tune on here!)

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday too

1,2,3,4,5,6,7 days. Each day different and every day new.

I'll have to look out for that one,Sue! I remember as a child I had the Ant and Bee books and they had a different colour for each day of the week too. (Probably just showing my age now!) :o

Hi

For dark and light/night and day I used Peace at Last as starting point.

For dark we put black backing paper over the top of the home corner panels. Children took it in turns to go in pairs with torches! We took some great observations - my favourite was a little boy shining the torch into the mirror saying "I want to go in there!" !!!! - Good KUW link too as they all loved dismantling the torches!

..... we are a bit mad in our class!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)