Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Childminding Fees And Child Going To Preschool

Hi everyone,

Hope you can help, I have a parent who has told me her child is attending preschool in september, she is expecting me to take her d aughter to preschool and to collect her but is not happy to pay for the time in between.

Am I right to think she should pay for a whole day, as I cant really use the space??? Help please, I need to sort this as the parent is currently dictating to me (which Im not happy about) and I want to get this resolved asap.

Many thanks

lala

Hi Lara, welcome to the Forum and congratulations on making your first post!

You think right!! If the child is with you before and after pre-school then fees are payable for the whole day. You cannot fill the 2.5 hours she's there with another child and you'd be missing out financially if you didn't charge for the whole day. If fees weren't paid on this basis no-one would ever childmind children of this age group!

I always explain to parents (and they're often unhappy, thinking they're paying for something they don't get!) that I can't fill the place for pre-school hours, that my service is available then if pre-school is closed for any reason (training days, bad weather, heating failure) Could they cover this if you weren't available?

The ONLY way to avoid paying is IF they take the child to pre-school and you are happy to pick up and charge from the end of the session - but, again, financially this has implications for you and it may be financially better for you to take on another full-time child instead!

I point all these things out to the parent and let them make their mind up. If this parent is already "dictating" to you and you're unhappy with it, might this be the time to let them go? A "natural break" ?

More things to think about! Hope that helps!?

Nona

Hi

Yes this is what happens in our area. If the parent is not happy maybe they should look for an alterative. (they probably won't find one). There is no way that you could fill the 2 1/2 hours with another child and probably spend 1/2 your time traveling!

When the child is funded they won't be paying for the preschool anyway. Maybe they should wait until then for their child to attend.

I third that!

She's still expecting the place to be available for her child at the beginning and end of each session and presumably in the school holidays too?

You can't possible fill the space around that with another child so you should charge for it. You are being totally reasonable and doing exactly what any other business would do - why do people think it should be different because we are childminders?

Thank you all,

It was nice to know Im right, I have on going problems with this particular parent, and as suggested I may well use this opportunity to make a break if the parent isnt happy. I just hate the constant stress with the money situation, I pointed out to her that I do state all this in my handout booklet and contracts etc, but I guess some people like to try and dictate regardless and are never happy when they have to pay.

Many thanx again :o

I guess some people like to try and dictate regardless and are never happy when they have to pay.

:o That should be included in the Childminder handbook I think!!

Nona

So let me get this right then. Childminders don't actually provide their services free and for the love of the children they care for then? They actually expect to be paid? Gosh - I'll bet some parents are shocked at that! :o

Sounds to me like you could easily fill this child's place if this parent feels unable to accept your published terms, so you're probably not going to be heartbroken at the idea of your arrangement with this family coming to a natural end when the child goes to pre-school. However, how sad for you and the child concerned? Mind you, unless there is a local childminder who is prepared to meet their terms it is likely that once they do a bit of digging around they will realise this is standard practice and come back to you after all.

Good luck - I'll be interested to see how you get on!

Maz

As a childminder of many years experience. I have always charged full fees if parents choose for their child to attend nursery, playgroup etc. This is what NCMA have always advised and I am "on call" if the child needs me. I explain to parents that they are paying for the place- after all if you rented a holiday cottage for a week you wouldn't expect a refund if you chose to go on a day trip! Hope that makes sense. Good luck.

I explain to parents that they are paying for the place- after all if you rented a holiday cottage for a week you wouldn't expect a refund if you chose to go on a day trip!

You can see why some parents might query the practice of paying for time with a childminder when their child is at pre-school - at first glance to the uninitiated it does seem rather odd. However your analogy is just perfect - it sums the reasoning up very clearly!

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)