Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Circle Time Un Savoury Words

Hi all

I need to plan a circle time covering words which are to be discouraged.

We have had quite a few words used just recently we would like to discourage. I am sure you are all aware of the kind of words I am talking about!!!

Any help/ideas would be gratefully received!

Many thanks

Vicky

Hi all

I need to plan a circle time covering words which are to be discouraged.

We have had quite a few words used just recently we would like to discourage. I am sure you are all aware of the kind of words I am talking about!!!

Any help/ideas would be gratefully received!

Many thanks

Vicky

Hi Vicky

We had something similar and it's very difficult to address - obviously you can't mention specific naughty words! However, we did remind the children as a whole about being kind to each other and using nice words with their friends - "how would you feel if . . ." and reminding of class/school rules.

We also spoke to children concerned and made it clear that we knew what was being said (without mentioning any words) and that they were not to use those words in school.

It's tricky if those words are regularly used at home - but that's where they stay.

Hope this helps.

I think that even mentioning/referring to such words at circle time can be counter productive. I personally favour just taking each child aside at the use point of use of such words and explaining that "we don't ever use that word here at nursery....but you can say ouch, gosh etc ".

Just my view, but good luck!!

How about something with a large puppet, who says all sorts of words that you CAN use to express strong emotions. This would give the children an alternative to what they are probably hearing at home.

So, the puppet could say, 'when I get cross, I know I mustn't say rude words, so I say 'oh fluff!' Then the children could come up with lots of their own words that could replace those words they know they shouldn't say.

HTH.

'How about something with a large puppet'

Thanks Suzie I like that idea.

EYFS I can see where you are coming from but unfortunatley we have had so many incidents of late that we have to do something else to try to counter the language being used.

Thanks for the help my mind had just gone blank I'm hitting brick walls at the moment.

Vicky

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)