Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Egg Incubator

Hi

We are thinking of hatching some baby chicks after Easter, I know there are some people on here that have done this and I am after some advice on where to start. I am also looking to purchase a small incubator second hand, I am based in Essex near Epping and am willing to collect!!

I already have a happy home for the chicks, grandparents of one our children have a farm so are happy to take them!!

Any advice welcome!!

Kris

Hi

I am also looking to purchase a small incubator second hand, I am based in Essex near Epping and am willing to collect!!

Are you a member of your local 'freecycle.uk'on the internet. Post what you want on that and someone may just have one they will give you for free. Always worth a try. :o

Guest tinkerbell

Be careful with secondhand electrical equipment.Mt Ht wouldn't allow one in school ,so the PTFA bought us a new one ,they can be very reasonable, alternatively you could use a company that deliver incubator and eggs and keep an eye on things for you.

Tinkerbell

Hi

Thanks for the replies, I have looked on some websites and the prices are coming in anywhere between £200 & £300!!

The only reason I would consider a used one is that I have a family member who is a site electrician and qualified to carry out PAT testing so was going to let him check it over.

Kris

Hi Kristina,

I'm in Harlow and we just hatched chicks at school - we borrowed an incubator from Pets Corner. Do you know them? They are based in Harlow and lend you what you need. We had a large incubator with 20 eggs in, 15 hatched and survived. They have now gone back to Pets Corner and we are going to see them after the hols. The staff there are briliant - friendly and helpful. If you want their contact details at all get in touch or they have a website - just Google Pets Corner Harlow. Good luck!!

i borrowed the incubator from a close friend to hatch ours, i purchased our eggs from ebay for £4.99 for 6!!!! bit of a gamble but 5 out of 6 hatched and they are thriving, i can't believe how much they have grown in a week!!!! if you do buy an incubator try to get 1 that you can see in easily the one we borrowed was fairly hard to see in when they were hatching. don't forget to organise a heat lamp and something to put the chicks in when they hatch i brought an indoor rabbit hutch it has a plastic bottom and and wire cage type top it is perfect and there is enough room for them to do all their growing untill they go outside :o if you can get your hands on a candler (a special torch) to look into the eggs you can track how they are developing in the eggs it stops you wondering if anything is in there!!! they sell these on ebay too! it's such a wonderful experience for the children to encounter we made easter cards with a picture of each child holding a chick on the front they were great xD

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)