Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Staff Attending Fundraising Events...

Do your staff attend fundraising events?

I work for a committee run pre-school and the committee are organising LOTS of weekend fundraising events and expecting the staff to go.

I wouldn't mind the occassional thing but feel we do enough 'out of hours' stuff and they have arranged or 3 saturday events in one month!

Just wondered what everyone else does.... how they would feel.

Many thanks!

Edited by mps09

Once in a while is fine - perhaps you could organise a rota so that there is always 1 member of staff, but not everyone is expected to go each time.

Guest babyjane31

As manager I normally go to and help at all events whereas my staff are all invited and come if they can but no one expects them to attend. Whilst i would be really pleased that I had such an enthusiastic fundraising team I wouldn't be overjoyed at giving up 3 staurdays in a month and would probabaly do what the previous poster said and ensure one staff member was at each

We ask at interview and would hope that staff would attend at least some of these, seeing as the preschool couldn't run without them.

However ... I think 3 in a month is overkill and too much to expect of staff. Often, you make more money by doing a few really focused big events rather than lots of smaller ones.

A rota or a set number to attend per year might work.

I too think too much for anyone to be expected to do.. giving up 3 Saturdays in a row, when we all know how much is done out of hours already unpaid..

perhaps they need a reminder that we all have to strike up a good a work/ life balance and to expect staff who work all week to give up a weekend as well does not help with moral or inclination to help out at all..

a compromise really needs to be worked out with one member of staff attending each one perhaps..

Our committee never expected us to attend any small events, and as a result we often did attend. The only one we were expected to attend was the sponsored walk we did alternate years... but as staff we did organise one event a year, usually something we could do in session time or send home for families to do .

Inge

We are comm run and no they or I as their leader would expect the staff to attend any fund raising event at the weekend. I always attend as leader am not paid and dont feel the comm can expect any other way. I also think incidently that it is expecting alot of your parents to attend and spend money three times in a month either to be honest. :o

Andrea

I also think incidently that it is expecting alot of your parents to attend and spend money three times in a month either to be honest. :o

Andrea

I agree! I always think parents feel under pressure to give to each setting whenever fundraising is mentioned so for parents with more than 1 child and multiple settings it must ba a nightmare!

Nona

This is too much ! As has already been pointed out it is the same group of parents that are being asked for money each time - unless they are trying something more adventurous. I have been fundraising at my school for 5 years now, we are a very samll school, 40 kids, and if we do any more than 2 things per term parents get fed up and takings drop. And there is nothing worse than staff who obviously don't want to be there. This happened at a BBQ last year where the head 'encouraged' all staff to be there and it was a bit awkward at points!

Thank you so much for your replies!

I'm glad it is not just me - committee are making us feel dreadful for not wanting to attend..

Have just drafted a letter to let them know about all the extra hours we already put in - including the 15+ hours I spend studying EYFD each week (maybe their conscience will make they pay me.... :o )

My 8 year old recently said I care more about my laptop than I do about her.... do I want to give up any more time? NO!

Thanks again.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)