Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Advise Needed Toilet/potty Training

Hi all, I need your wonderful advise again please,

We have a little boy at pre-school who is aged 4yrs 5months who is not toilet trained and still wears nappies, with our encouragement Mum has now put him in pants, the only problem is he holds himself from doing a wee or a poo for hours at a time and will then wet himself constantly for the next half hour. If she puts a nappy on him he will quite happily poo and wee.

Any advise from anyone please

Debbie

A few weeks' ago I was listening to Woman's Hour on Radio 4 about this type of subject, if you Google ERIC they have some good advice to follow, and it is all in the kind of everyday wording such as poo and wee! very supportive and may be just what mum needs and what your setting can do in conjuction with the family

Thank you both so much, Panders I have just been on the ERIC web site, a fantastic resource and have printed off some literature that I think will definately help and reassure Mum (and our setting)

Debbie

Just wanted to add is he holding it because he finds toilets scary? Might be something to think about. Also if he's taken to the toilet and sat on it how does he react?

Obviously it doesn't seem to be a medical thing regarding bladder/bowel control since he can hold it. When you say he 'wets himself constantly for the next half hour' though do you mean it comes out a bit at a time as if he's clearly still holding it, but just can't help himself any longer so a bit leaks out before he gets it under control or is it a case of a full wee/poo each time?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)