Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Ict Ideas On A Very Low Budget

Have you got any brilliant ideas for ICT activities that doesn't involve spending hefty amounts of money?

I was going through the children's profiles yesterday, sticking in observations and just generally having a tie up of loose ends and I noticed that in almost all of their files, there are no observations for ICT. The nursery doesn't have a computer that the children can freely access, although the office computer is being replaced shortly and the old one will go into the room with the children. They do not have a camera or anything like that and the owner of the nursery is refusing to spend any more money (linked to my 'inadequate' thread earlier on this week) as my friend and I have had to really push for some of the more basic resources (think stickle bricks and paint... but that's another story!).

So, any ideas would be gratefully appreciated! Thanks :o

Hello,

how about asking parents to donate old phones, hair dryers, keyboards, remote controls,

The children can still demonstrate their understanding of how these objects work, even though they do not function.

Chicken

Ooooh and they so do!! Our two year olds press the buttons on the tape recorders and bop away to the 'music'! It's sooo funny!

We like old cameras - some are when 35mm film was used and some of the students ask 'What are these'!

You could link to home and ask parents if they could involve the children when using the washing machine, chat as they put on the indicators etc on the car to say what they do, help use the self scanners in the supermarkets (they frustrate the life out of me tho!) etc

Could you prepare snacks/meals using some technology such as a handblender, microwave, electric tin opener etc

I sympathise with you completely having read your other thread... it must be sooo hard and frustrating for you guys.

Edited by gingerbreadman

torches can be found really cheaply.. or again add to the list for parent to donate... we invested in rechargeable batteries and a charger.. and parents provided the torches... or we found some wind up ones in Asda child sized very cheaply.. kept them occupied for hours even without a tent or dark..

used sweet wrappers for coloured cellophane to give different effects..

Inge

These ideas are fantastic! Thank you so much! I am amazed that I didn't think of involving the parents, as this has something that has been playing on my mind all over the weekend (well that and fundraising ideas :o ).

i wonder if wind up toys and laminators can be included in ICT

the definition for ict is described as this......

A good way to think about ICT is to consider all the uses of digital technology that already exist to help individuals, businesses and organisations use information.

ICT covers any product that will store, retrieve, manipulate, transmit or receive information electronically in a digital form. For example, personal computers, digital television, email, robots.

So ICT is concerned with the storage, retrieval, manipulation, transmission or receipt of digital data. Importantly, it is also concerned with the way these different uses can work with each other

Just had a quick look at the practice guidance. Toys with buttons, photocopiers etc are all included.

16 - 26 months development matters statements: "Show interest in toys with buttons and flaps and simple mechanisms and begin to learn

to operate them" and the 'look, listen and note' says "The ways in which young children investigate how to push, pull, lift or press parts of

toys and domestic equipment."

22 - 36 months talks about how children control the technology of toys, eg a toy electronic keyboard, and letting the children use a photocopier to make a copy of a picture.

30 - 50 months talks about children pressing buttons to use a pelican crossing, or to press the intercom button to ask to be let back into the building after a walk.

Its only when you get to 40-60+ that they talk about using a mouse and keyboard to operate software.

Maz

Why not keep your eyes peeled at car boot sales too?

Lots of things can be found there!! At a small cost.

I had a lovely lot of battery operated tools as my last exciting buy which were well received and they topped up our exisiting tools too!

I have also bought phones for a £1...... maybe worth thinking about if parents not forth coming!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)