Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Naming Work

Hi some advice please,

I have been using small paper name strips for the children to name their work. Each child has a pocket of ready made names that they can independantly stick on any work they make, they also use them to name models they want to keep and things for other children. I have found it works well once they know the routine. However it has been suggested that the children should be mark making their own names, some do and I encourage and support this but many aren't keen to try until they develop more confidence.

What do other people think/do?

we always had the children make their own marks on the paper to identify their work, and if they felt unable to would ask a member of staff to do it..

I always felt it was a good way to encourage mark making.. and we got to learn a childs own mark , sometimes a line of circles or something similar, and saw it develop over time to recognisable letters.

Those who asked us to help saw us writing their name and often 'had a go' underneath or next to it..

We felt it was all part of the mark making learning curve.

and we seldom had any we could not identify in some way.

Inge

I actually really like your approach, as it encourages their independence and they are seeing their name frequently if they don't yet know how to write it.

Our staff tend to write on names themselves for those children who can't write their own, which is time consuming for them and they sometimes forget and we have un-named work.

I think I will nick your idea - thanks!

We do too Sunnyday, reading my post I can see it may look as they though the children should use the paper names, but we encourage and support mark making, and like Inga I have found they usually use the same symbols for their signature. The strips are there for those who are not keen to try (which is quite a few of our children this time of year). they are also used for models/completely painted/glue covered pictures and friends names they are an addition to not instead of. If I wasn't encouraging markmaking I would have understood the very negative reaction to them.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)