Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Childrens Files- When And Where

How do PVI work around childrens files? Are staff expected to do them in work time or do you give TOIL if done at home. This has always been a problem but staff want to reduce hours and have a day off every now and again to do the files at home. I am sure you can imagine my response but wondering how managers/EYPS deal with this problem in other settings

Hmmm - as a PVI with some staff whom I know wouldn't do files on the 'day off' and there are issues about confidentiality/security/loss if files go offsite , my staff have a rota system on the two days where I employ and extra staff member to cover every week, they have paperwork time away from the children to do files. Also there is an expectation that if we are quieter ( i.e half terms and longer holidays ) that this time will be used effectively to catch up on anything not done, again on a designated rota basis. Making the paperwork managable is the most important thing - we have done this by streamlining observations to at least one long observation per child per half term and less 'incidental' observations, this cuts right down on time spent assembling learning journeys and has improved planning and quality of observations. :o

We gave staff one hour a week on site to do the files.. how they arranged it was up to them.. some did it weekly others did it monthly.. but they had to be done on site.. never taken home.. that way we ensured they were always on site ..

When we did have them done at home for a while I really was unhappy with the reasons constantly given for why they were not on site... or incomplete... on site completion gave some help in ensuring they were done..

and I also liked them done with the children as they often had some input into their own journey files...

Inge

no where quiet for staff to update, files go home staff get paid an hour per week (pack away)

there is no personal info in the files, I think they need to be done weekly for there to be effective planning

for the children

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)