Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Behavioural Support/ideas

just need some support, ideas, suggestion and / or words of wisdom, currently have two children in nursery with concerning behavioural difficulties, doing the usual, praising good beh, time out, PSED stories using puppets and bears etc, but at mo, one member of staff has to shadow one child to ensure that he doesnt hurt others or himself. very poor concentration span and he really doesnt understand right/wrong, 2 mins after time out etc he repeats behaviour.

Am going to begin a log to observe frequency of behaviour etc etc, but does anyone have any ideas

also we use tambourine to signal end of session and to inform kids that it is tidy up time, but not totally effective, ch struggling to stop, any other ideas????

Sounds like your doin all the right things. Do you think he would be interested in sticker charts? Have you spoke to his parents regarding behaviour at home and what he responds to at home?

Shadowing him and demonstrating appropriate behaviour sounds like a good idea been down this route myself and although it takes time away from the rest of the childfren it is definately worth putting the time in now.

Regarding getting the children to stop for tidy up time we use a musical cue. We have calming classical music playing during tidy up time. It definately works and is sometimes comical to watch as the chants of tidy up time spread throughout the nursery faster than the bush telegraph!

If i think of anything else I will add later. Tracy

Thanks for quick response!! Thats why I think this forum is so good! Yeah I will be renewing for myself individually!

Will have a look at some nice calming music could try for tidy up time!

thanks again :o

We give a 5 minute warning that tidy up time is approaching, then we turn the lights out - we do this when they occasionally get to noisy - stops them in their tracks for long enough to say what you want to say! Obviously it doesn't go totally dark - that would be very scary - just enough for them to stop, look around and wonder what's just happened.

I think you are doing the right things shadowing, I've been in similar situation and it is exhausting, and upsetting the ABC chart thing works for some, antecedent behaviour, behaviour, consequences, I think that's what it stands for, andf plenty of coaching child to understand behaving well, and short time spans of expected good behaviour with reward, gradually getting longer.

The little boy we had found coping with other boys was far too challenging for him, his behaviour was so much better when he mixed with the girls, however, his language was not so great towards them - we began to suspect mum and dad of having quite a tempestuous relationship!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)