Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

The Toymaker's Workshop

I am teaching an Arts unit around the drama unit "The Toymaker's Workshop" from Jo Boulton's and Judith Ackroyd's book "Role Play in the Early Years - The Toymaker's Workshop". I'm looking for any links with this unit across all arts areas - e.g. music, song, dance, visual art as well as drama. Any resources e.g. verse, songs titles / words, dance, art and craft ideas, etc that relate to the theme of toys, helping others and design would be most welcome.

Regards

Jenny

:o

Hi, and welcome to the forum. How about toys from around the world, looking at how children in other countries would play with very different toys and making some of those? And toys from the past - you could bring in some of your old toys to show the children.

Also, making and playing with puppets.

There's a couple of toy museums in London if you are anywhere close for a visit. Do a google as they might have teaching materials on their websites.

what ages are you dealing with.......before i go on a suggestion mission! :o

Thanks fdor your interest. Four to six year olds is the age group. Would appreciate your ideas.

Regards

Jenny xD

a few things spring to mind

i saw a fab gym session done some time ago using 'puppet on a string' as a basis - could lead on to puppet making of their own and even creating their own plays?

craft wise -toys that move are a great idea very easy to make cotton reel motors using a rubber band through the middle atached to a matchstick ( i'll see if i can find a link to it) also paper puppets strung at the back so that when you pull they move limbs. we have a 2simple program on the computer which can do simple animations.

woodwork, using hammers/tools sandpaper etc

Hope this helps - i haven't come across this book before but it looks interesting on amazon!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)