Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Interview - Help, Wise People, Please!

I have an interview coming up and am having that horrible panic when you try and plan something and aren't sure what to do for the best.

I have to plan a 30 minute teaching activity with a class of 30 mixed reception/yr 1 in a FS-style unit. No TA. I can do anything I like (much harder than having an area to plan within!). I have been told there are some SEN and boisterous children in the group. my thinking is, 30 minutes - I need something active!

I have time to set things up, but I don't know how long.

I've considered looking at numeracy and doing 2D / 3D shape, or science/kuw and something like drawing round someone and naming and labelling body parts, but now I'm wondering if it mightn't be better to do a music activity because I can keep them all on the carpet with something to do then? I'm just wondering how I would manage lots of activities with boisterous children, year 1s who need challenge, and no TA (each class has a dedicated TA usually but I guess they want to see how we manage behaviour).

Anyone got any fab ideas?!

Thanks!

Guest LornaW

30 minutes is a long time!!!

What about something like Mystery Bag? To the tune of This Old man. You could teach the children the song first and then go into the game.

Mystery Bag

What's inside

Somethings in there trying to hide

Put your hand in see what you can find

It's a ...............

Let's make that sound

With a mixed class you can have different things in the bag to meet different stages either make the sound or sound out the word

You can do it with phonics or with numeracy. Singing the song would involve all of the children and the anticipation of wondering if it is coming to you may help the 'boisterous' children.

Or there are some great songs in the Singing Phonics Book that would fit the bill.

Lorna

Thanks Lorna.

I've been thinking and I've come up with the idea of making a soundscape.

I will remind ch of work on Ourselves and senses. We will use parts of our bodies to make sounds, and do a bit of phonic sounding (sssss, tttttt, ch, oo etc), I might write up the grapheme for the more able. I will remind them they are learning about pattern and we will make a sound pattern eg clap stamp, clap stamp.

I will show them Henri Rousseau's painting Surprise!. We will talk about the tiger and how it feels, and listen to some sound clips of thunder, rain, trees swaying and wind. I will split the class up using match-cards (ie they have to get up and find the rest of their group) into 4 or five groups, each to make a sound representing a part of the picture. They must work as a group. After a couple of mins to work out what they're doing they show their part. Then we all do it together. Then i will ask ch to evaluate what their group / other groups have done, saying what they like or if anything could have been better.

Plenary will be a 'step into the sun' type thing where we step into the sun if we've used parts of our bodies to make sound; if we have used our ears and eyes; if we have used sound to describe a picture.

I know it's a bit unusual to do music but I am hoping this will be a nice way to demonstrate active learning without risking carnage!

Opinions welcome!!!!!

Guest LornaW

Wow natterer that sounds great children will love it and you will meet all needs! Good Luck although I am sure you won't need it!!!

Lorna

Guest LornaW

Wow natterer that sounds great children will love it and you will meet all needs! Good Luck although I am sure you won't need it!!!

Lorna

Guest LornaW

Lorna

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)