Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Gifted And Talented

Hi, i have a child with us who is displaying signs of being very intelligent, she is approaching 4yrs but can already write names and words, knows numbers, shapes, colours, is exploring addition and subtraction and is now taking an interest in reading. It is nice for me to help her learning but I am concerned with how far to take this as I don't want her to get bored when she gets to reception year and may come to a standstill. Parents are pleased with her progress and happy to let her go as far as she wants but have same concerns as me. I have spoken to our SENCO who has advised to do obs in each area to ensure that she is all round meeting levels for her age, but she is a sociable child and I have no concerns really about any other areas. Just looking for a bit of advice really, what would you do?

Have you got the booklet 'Exploring Young Children's Fascinations?' You can download it from the National Strategies site. It's full of good advice and ideas for extending more able children in all areas of the curriculum.

I have a couple of children who are very able in reading, writing and number but they are not as secure in many aspects of PSED, PD, KUW and CD or problem solving so these are their areas of challenge.

Good luck!

Hi, i have a child with us who is displaying signs of being very intelligent, she is approaching 4yrs but can already write names and words, knows numbers, shapes, colours, is exploring addition and subtraction and is now taking an interest in reading. It is nice for me to help her learning but I am concerned with how far to take this as I don't want her to get bored when she gets to reception year and may come to a standstill. Parents are pleased with her progress and happy to let her go as far as she wants but have same concerns as me. I have spoken to our SENCO who has advised to do obs in each area to ensure that she is all round meeting levels for her age, but she is a sociable child and I have no concerns really about any other areas. Just looking for a bit of advice really, what would you do?

Why would she get bored when she gets to Reception? We target the children's needs and interests and extend their learning as appropriate.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)