Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Letters And Sounds Assessment

Hi all, I was wondering if you could help me with a quick question?

Our school is just beginning to use Letters and Sounds in Year One and Two. At the moment the teachers are assessing the children to see which phase they should be on. Some of the teachers seem to be asking the children to write the tricky words as part of the assessment. I always thought the assessment was just on grapheme recognition and ability to read and blend words, not to write them? (This is what we do in Reception).

Many thanks,

Carrots x

Hi all, I was wondering if you could help me with a quick question?

Our school is just beginning to use Letters and Sounds in Year One and Two. At the moment the teachers are assessing the children to see which phase they should be on. Some of the teachers seem to be asking the children to write the tricky words as part of the assessment. I always thought the assessment was just on grapheme recognition and ability to read and blend words, not to write them? (This is what we do in Reception).

Many thanks,

Carrots x

In phase 3 children should be able to spell/write phase 2 words and in phase 4 children should be able to write phase 3 words etc

The suggested activity

Learning to spell and practising tricky words

the to no go I

• •• • • • • •

Children should be able to read these words before being expected to learn to spell

them.

Resources

Whiteboards and pens, preferably one per child

Procedure

Write the word to be learned on the whiteboard and check that everyone can

read it.

Say a sentence using the word.

Sound-talk the word raising a finger for each phoneme.

Ask the children to do the same.

Discuss the letters required for each phoneme, using letter names.

Ask the children to trace the shape of the letters on their raised fingers.

Rub the word off the whiteboard and ask them to write the word on their

whiteboards.

Yes, I would expect them to write the word at Phase 3. At Phase 2, if they can't write it I would expect them to spell it using magnetic letters or something. At Phase 2 I also don't insist on correct formation when we start writing rather than just spelling - obviously I teach letter formation in an ongoing manner, but they won't pick up the correct formations straight away and I would rather they 'had a go', as long as they can tell me what they have written at that stage that'll do for me.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)