Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Word Count And Quotes In Essays

HI.

we have two members of staff at our nursery who are doing their foundation degree via john moores university. Both staff say that included in their word count for essay's is direct quotes from books. When i was at university (2002) this was not the case. anyone know if this is correct or not?

Dawn

All the way through my studies it has always been quotes and in text references are included in the word count.

I actually like it this way otherwise it could result in a very 'wordy' essay full of quotes. When they are included in the word count I think you are more 'selective' about which and how many quotes you include. I am surprised how my 'academic writing' skills improved over the course of my study and am sure this is due in part to 'word counts'

I think you need to follow your tutor's advice.

I'm doing E100 with Open University (Level 1) and they are included.... but when I did the Level 2 course ED209 they WERE NOT included, and I;m sure at my tutorial the tutor said it is something to do with the expectations for the level you are studying.

Hope that helps.

x x x

Mine also says quotes are included in the word count which is sad as when I did my DPP last year they were not so it was a good way of sneaking in extra words lol

Thanks everyone.

I will talk to both staff about making sure they make use of paraphrasing so that they can get more in their essays, but yes seems they were right and that word count is included. goes to show how it has changed since i did my degree :o

Dawn

They weren't included when I did my degree, I think it depends on the type of degree more than anything. Without wanting to sound like I'm undervaluing any degrees here (I'm definitely not!) more literary type degrees such as literature, history or psychology tend not to include quotes in their word counts. So called 'red brick' universities such as Lancaster, York, Durham etc. also tend not to include quotes in their word count as far as I know as it is traditional (not sure that's the right word, but it's the closest I can come up with!) not to.

Edited by Guest

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)