Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

After School Kids - What Do We Need To Note Re Development ?

What age are the siblings in afterschool club?

Why would you being doing "obs" on them in afterschool club?

The EYFS development matters goes to 60 months if that helps at all?

Not quite sure what you mean/need!

Sorry, it is early on a Monday!!

Guest jenpercy

you need to jump through the hoopss for children until 31st August following 5th birthday ie somewhere between 60 and 72 months actually

Sorry ladies - they are brother and sister and are coming to me (cm not afterschool club) ages are 5yrs and 6yrs respectively. I just wanted to know whether I use the schools equivalent of Development Matters grid or what ? I do know we are meant to do something but not sure what !!

Hope this makes things a bit clearer

Sorry ladies - they are brother and sister and are coming to me (cm not afterschool club) ages are 5yrs and 6yrs respectively. I just wanted to know whether I use the schools equivalent of Development Matters grid or what ? I do know we are meant to do something but not sure what !!

Hope this makes things a bit clearer

You shouldn't have to do anything on the 6 year old. There is no need to do obs on a child this age unless there is a specific concern. The school will most probably be using APP or some equivalent thing to track their progress in literacy and numeracy and NC levels to track all other subjects. For the five year old you can use development matters until they achieve all the goals (it should go up to 60 months). After that there isn't really anything because again they will be moved to national curriculum levels by the school and child minders aren't usually expected to contribute to these as they are usually assessed more formally than just obs.

Edited by Guest

You shouldn't have to do anything on the 6 year old. There is no need to do obs on a child this age unless there is a specific concern. The school will most probably be using APP or some equivalent thing to track their progress in literacy and numeracy and NC levels to track all other subjects. For the five year old you can use development matters until they achieve all the goals (it should go up to 60 months). After that there isn't really anything because again they will be moved to national curriculum levels by the school and child minders aren't usually expected to contribute to these as they are usually assessed more formally than just obs.

Thanks for that Kariana - at least its only one more file and not two !! hmph.....:)

Thanks for that Kariana - at least its only one more file and not two !! hmph.....:)

Actually I've just thought: you don't need to do it for the 5 year old either. Jen mentioned the 31st August following their 5th birthday and if he's in year one then presumably he would have been 5 before the 31st August this year, therefore he has already passed this threshold and you don't need to do it at all. The school certainly won't be now he is in year one!

• 4 weeks later...

Ofsted will want to see that you are undertaking suitable activities after school and during holidays for these children, to include how you liaise with parents with regards interests and needs - so unless you observe, speak and seek out information from both child and parent and carers you wont know what will interest them in order to provide for them.

I also struggle to understand why observations should stop at a certain age? They can be just general and entered into a general diary for the older children and kept for parents/carers. I have always undertaken this for all children. Also remember that in this country a lot of children are failing to have SEN detected or statemented until quite a late age? Why because practitioners do not fully understand the power of observation. I know it is a little extra work on top of everything we do as childminders - but when you get into the swing of things and develop a good system of work it is really effective for the child/children in your care.

It does not have to be too indepth - just general and its a great keepsake for parent and child with regards to their growing years. My parents love it and older ones have returned to say how much they appreciate and can now look back on what they did.

It has also helped with other multi-agency requirements in relation to peadiatricians (for a boy I still have who is 15) a little girl with ADD/Dyslexia - all of whom would not have received help without my observations, assessment and planning for their needs throughout their time with me.

Guest jenpercy
Ofsted will want to see that you are undertaking suitable activities after school and during holidays for these children, to include how you liaise with parents with regards interests and needs - so unless you observe, speak and seek out information from both child and parent and carers you wont know what will interest them in order to provide for them.

I also struggle to understand why observations should stop at a certain age? They can be just general and entered into a general diary for the older children and kept for parents/carers. I have always undertaken this for all children. Also remember that in this country a lot of children are failing to have SEN detected or statemented until quite a late age? Why because practitioners do not fully understand the power of observation. I know it is a little extra work on top of everything we do as childminders - but when you get into the swing of things and develop a good system of work it is really effective for the child/children in your care.

It does not have to be too indepth - just general and its a great keepsake for parent and child with regards to their growing years. My parents love it and older ones have returned to say how much they appreciate and can now look back on what they did.

It has also helped with other multi-agency requirements in relation to peadiatricians (for a boy I still have who is 15) a little girl with ADD/Dyslexia - all of whom would not have received help without my observations, assessment and planning for their needs throughout their time with me.

Sadly, what we do because it is a good idea and what we do because of OFSTED are 2 separate things. As I understand it - and I have been OFSTEDed twice in the last 15 months, OFSTED are no longer interestd in what we do with children who are out of the EYFS. even if they are only 5 years and one dsy, they are regarded as older children. we have always observed, diwscussed, reorded where necessary for all our children. This is now not good enough for EYFS children, even when we don't have many contact hours

As long as you are observing assessing and planning for children correctly in the EYFS that is what Ofsted require. On the other hand as I have maintained it is still good practice to do the same for children outside the age range to ensure overall development is on target. Does it matter that Ofsted dont want this. Childminders are in the business to ensure children are cared for and over all their development and well being is met alongside all other practitioners the child comes into contact with. To do this observation and assessment is crucial, no matter what their age.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)