Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Challenge In All Areas/ Outside Area

Hello,

My headteacher would like me to challenge the chn by putiing challenges up in the areas....both inside and outside.... Can anyone share their practice? Do you put weekly challenges in all the areas or just a couple?......also has anyone found any nice challenge cards that could be laminated and placed outside??

While on the subject outside can i ask what CLL you have outside....in terms of resources and visual aids?? How do you hang letters and keywords outside any good resources that are inexpensive and weatherproof? Its my target to make sure PSRN and CLL are outside..

Thank you

Hello,

My headteacher would like me to challenge the chn by putiing challenges up in the areas....both inside and outside.... Can anyone share their practice? Do you put weekly challenges in all the areas or just a couple?......also has anyone found any nice challenge cards that could be laminated and placed outside??

While on the subject outside can i ask what CLL you have outside....in terms of resources and visual aids?? How do you hang letters and keywords outside any good resources that are inexpensive and weatherproof? Its my target to make sure PSRN and CLL are outside..

Thank you

I give the children 2 challenges a week 1 indoors, 1 outdoors and plan to increase this over the year. I vary the challenges so that they are in different areas each week. Children sign up if they have taken part in the challenge and get a house point and lots of praise at the end of the week, at the moment I have around an 80% take up.

I have 2 role play areas one inside, one outside (in a shed) in which I put resources for writing. I also have an outside book area (undercover) and I provide them with a tub of markmaking equipment (chalk, painbrushes etc). We have several washing lines outside with laminated cards at children's level at the moment we have a shape pattern one and a numbers to 10 one. One recent challenge outside which was a huge hit was in our wet sand box (quite big can fit about 4 children inside) I hid some glass nuggets and gave them the challenge to find the treasure and sort the treasure into coloured pots. At the end of each session we counted the treasure in each pot leading to lots of discussion as a class about more/less etc

Sparklebox do nice challenge cards which I have inherited some of and are using again but am sure you could easily come up with your own similar design.

Hope that helps!

Heres an example of what i used, cant find them, but used cards to say, can yiou order these numbers to 5/10

Can you spell cat using tese letters. giving them cvc words. Can you write these numbers....

Roll the dice, count the spots can you find that many compare bears? hope those examples help slightly xx

editable_numbers.doc from sparklebox. found the editable word cards under numeracy

These are from sparklebox

Are you sure, popcorn? They don't have the usual Sparklebox 'house' style, and I see that the author is someone called AStone. :o

It has become routine now whenever anyone mentions Sparklebox that we draw members' attention to Steve's announcement here just in case anyone isn't aware.

Maz

Hiya, sorry no challenges but we have found outdoor resources from TTS (www.tts-shopping.com) to be hardwearing and they endure the weather too.

We have sets of plasticised tricky words and lettersand play 'hunt the...' with those. We have cones with letters and numbers on and use them with the bikes - 'ride to the letter that starts ..., can you spell cat with the cones?', and I have just seen numerals and letters made of willow for outdoor weaving - they are definately on my wish list!

We put up washing lines while teaching staff are outside, but make sure they are taken down for lunch-time when lots of children are outside together. It lets us ring the changes, rather than having a display board nailed to the wall.

Mark-making ranges from paper and clip boards to chalks on blackboard and the floor to huge paint brushes and pots of water.

good luck!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)