Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Retrospective Planning

Hi all,

I have been looking at my planning this week, as I have been thinking lately that a lot of what I plan doesn't happen, but lots of other things take place that don't always get recorded. I am thinking of changing some of my plans to retrospective ones. I wondered if any other Reception teachers do this and have any examples they could share? I have been going round in circles trying to find a good way of recording it myself!

Thanks,

Kathryn

Hi kathryn, there are many members here who are using a more retrospective style of planning, although Im not sure how many are in schools. It may be a conversation you will need to have within your school before making any decisions if your school has certain expectations for planning, for example. You will possibly still have to have plans for phonics teaching, guided reading etc or whatever you do. You also need to cover yourself for times when unforeseen events mean you are not there and someone else needs to pick up on your planning.

Its quite a challenge to balance what you might like to do with the demands of being a teacher in a school and those expectations of the wider school/leadership group too. It will be interesting to hear from members who feel they have manged this balance well.

Yes I agree that I will still have to have certain areas planned such as phonics, guided reading, CLLD and PSRN inputs and focussed activities. I was thinking of having some sort of pro forma like the one I have attached which identifies some activities and leaves room to record other things that arise. I am very luck to have a Head who used to be a Reception teacher (until last year) and is extremely understanding. Would be really interested to hear what others think or have tried.

Kathryn

Weekly_Planning_retro.doc

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)