Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Which Book Would You Recommend?

Hi, our setting is looking to move form a v hall into a brand new purpose built place adjoined to a new school build in our local area...having done a dissertation on our learning environment and considering we are in a hall with prospect of moving, I would like to do some professional reading and have shortlisted several books in my shopping basket but would appreciate some personal recommendations from ey practitioners before I spend a small fortune :)

the books are either on outdoors or ey learning environments generally:

Learning Outdoors: Improving the Quality of Young Children's Play Outdoors - Helen Bilton

A Place to Learn: Developing a Stimulating Learning Environment - Penny Cartwright

Setting the Scene: Making the Most of the Environment - Sally Featherstone (this is a pre-order but my experience with Sally Featherstone's books has always been positive having purchased many little books)

Creating a Space to Grow: The Process of Developing Your Outdoor Learning Environment - Gail Ryder-Richardson

Playing Outside - Rain or Shine - Rosaleen Joyce

does anyone else have any other recommendations???

Also looking for some books on how to consult with children as I'm really conscious that the children need to be fully involved in planning our new room in order to support the transition and ensure that our new place is everything is can possibly be...not asking for much hey! I have previously read one of the mosaic approach books and found this v helpful with my dissertation but a few others have come up on amazon search that am now debating. Does anyone have any particular suggestions?

Many thanks in anticipation! (sorry for such a long post!)

How about this?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Early-Childhood-En...0807&sr=8-1

I have the home based settings version from my County and it's given me lots of ideas of how to improve my environment.

Thanks for flagging up that book I forgot I had it and it will now be out on my reading list for Fondation Degree Its so easy to use

Sue

We never did organise a time for that audit!

Well I was supposed to be a guinea pig for FCCERS training but they just cancelled it so I might have to take you up on your offer. Just let me finish my battles for school provision first.

Maybe you should set yourself up in business and travel round the country doing them for FSF members :o

As for the Mosaic approach, I don't know whether this is the book that you've already used, but I find that 'Listening to Young children. The Mosaic Approach' by Clark and Moss very useful for soliciting children's views.

Thanks for the suggestion Upsy Daisy, I used ECERS to support my dissertation and whilst it is extremely useful for auditing the environment and creating and improving ideas/practice and I don't feel it would be quite right for my setting or my own personal reading at present. Having said that I will go back to my diss and refresh upon my suggestions and re-read my section discussing ECERS, so thank you for reminding me about it :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)