Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Preschool Biker Film

Hi all

We have recently been successful in getting a grant approved and our now the proud owners of some balance bikes and photo / video cameras.

What I would like is for the children to make a short film using the new cameras and bikes. I have two aims for the film, the kids having fun and the granting body getting to see their money in action.

As a parent and not a practitioner, I'm happy with how to do this technically (i.e. story telling, post production, etc), but not with the law / best practise around videoing children and releasing the video to parents & external bodies.

I would appreciate any comments, suggestions, links to resources, etc.

I will also be contacting the PLA for advice.

Thanks

George

Thinking about this from the perspective of doing my early years degree & talking about consent, I'd want to get informed consent from the parents/carers telling them explicitly what you want to make it for, who it could be shown to, how long kept for etc.

Consider how you will deal with confidentiality - will you show the children's faces? (I'd have thought so?) Have the children talking & potentially using each other's names? Have the name of the setting on the film?

Will you give copies to the parents? (You'll loose all control over that once you've done it and cannot prevent parents posting it on their facebook pages/copying it for Aunty Jane in Australia who then posts it to her facebook page) Will they watch it in the setting, who can come to the showings, how often will you show it, who can come to the showings? Who else will have copies of the film, what will they do with it, how will they store it, how long will they keep it & what happens when they don't want it anymore?

Hope that gives you some ideas to start from...! It sounds like a fun project.

Edited by Lyanne

Yes that's what we do - we have a permission letter which we slot the details of when the recording was made, where it will be used and by whom and how long it will be kept for. We then approach all the parents who have children featured in the recordings and ask them to give or refuse their permission. We always tell them that it is their right to refuse the permission and that it will be easy to remove their child's image if they want to do that. Virtually no one objects. We file these permissions away so if anyone comes back to question it we have them ready to hand.

Hi

Thanks for all your feedback.

How do you determine how long the video will be kept for?

I would like to give a copy to the parents if possible.

Thanks again

George

Hi, fab idea. Just a thought for any children who parents don't want filmed/identified, could they wear some kind of facial disguise, e.g. balaclava or face paints, it would be a real shame for any of them to miss out!

I do some work with a film production company who regularly film children for educational purposes, if you like I can ask them for a copy of the permissions letter they use with schools?

Just let me know.

I do some work with a film production company who regularly film children for educational purposes, if you like I can ask them for a copy of the permissions letter they use with schools?

Just let me know.

Hi Suzie

Thanks, that would be really useful.

George

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)