Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Child With English As Additional Language

I know this might be like stating the obvious but have you asked the parents?

Also our local Children's Information Service offers a translation service, might be worth checking if yours does?

Hi

I agree with asking the parents. We have a range of 'first languages' in our setting and have found this initial input from parents is invaluable. We obtained basic words from parents and I made a list for the wall with Arabic and English. I checked my pronunciation with the parents and spoke to the child with their home langueage word first followed by the English. The time we need to keep this list for varies from child to child. To date we have have no real difficulties with their receptive language (hand gestures with words have been a good strategy) but expressive language has taken longer.

We have one child who now speaks in English and rarely uses any of the Arabic words and she joined us in September.

Good luck

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)