Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Other Settings

Now am really confused, i work in aprivate nursery for ages birth to goin in to reception and as we all do follow the eyfs, what is confusing me is some of the children who attend my nursery also go to a preschool and 1 of the children likes to show us her folder from there. Upon reading it it seems very structured about the activities they provide for eg, nov13 al about u, nov 20 our bodies the colour of the week and number of the week. and this seems to be the pattern for the year?? i thought topics like this only to be introduced if the children have shown an interest not because the staff want to do this, an thoughts as this place got outstanding.

Sarah :o

We have noticed a very similar thing! Some of our children go on to nursery school in the afternoon and that is very structured like you say, with topics etc. Also, they have all these marvellous things/ facilities/rooms but what happens in practice is that there is only ever e.g. sand or paint so I can only presume all the other stuff is for Ofsted day! I am guessing that because it's all bells and whistles purpose built and just a bit posh that they don't have to jump thro quite as many hoops to prove themselves. We are a packaway playgroup and I think it's the nature of the beast that you constantly have to paddle very hard just to keep up! We probably offer a wider variety of things because we constantly (daily) have to set up and review our environment. I'm going off the subject! It is very frustrating I know as considering they are outstanding, they don't seem to embrace all these "buzz" concepts such as free-flow, child led planning, they have snack altogether (and - horror of horrors - they have b-i-s-c-u-i-t-s :oxD ) which we have been told x number of times are 'essential' in delivering EYFS properly! I think I am just old and bitter! lolx :(

We have noticed a very similar thing! Some of our children go on to nursery school in the afternoon and that is very structured like you say, with topics etc. Also, they have all these marvellous things/ facilities/rooms but what happens in practice is that there is only ever e.g. sand or paint so I can only presume all the other stuff is for Ofsted day! I am guessing that because it's all bells and whistles purpose built and just a bit posh that they don't have to jump thro quite as many hoops to prove themselves. We are a packaway playgroup and I think it's the nature of the beast that you constantly have to paddle very hard just to keep up! We probably offer a wider variety of things because we constantly (daily) have to set up and review our environment. I'm going off the subject! It is very frustrating I know as considering they are outstanding, they don't seem to embrace all these "buzz" concepts such as free-flow, child led planning, they have snack altogether (and - horror of horrors - they have b-i-s-c-u-i-t-s ) which we have been told x number of times are 'essential' in delivering EYFS properly! I think I am just old and bitter! lolx

hey Annie-Pops careful not to generalise- not all settings are like the one you mentioned after all you do say you are presuming! Go visit, after all that should be part of our practice now to make contact with our children's other settings so we can communicate and understand the development better?

Hi Apple - I wasn't presuming what they do - I know the setting well and have done for many years. Also, I wasn't intending to make a generalisation between packaway or more formal settings I was just explaining the set-ups of the settings I was comparing. It is actually a lovely nursery and my own children went there :o so I wasn't even saying I don't think what they do is right or good! I was only agreeing with Sarah that it is very confusing to get mixed messages . We just have to remind ourselves that child care and education is like everything else subject to the whims of fashion and I'm sure it won't be long till there's a whole new publication out telling us we've being doing it all wrong, lol x xD

I am wondering whether as all pre-schools are following EYFS to the T ie loads of free flowing play and children learn everything whilst they are in play and not in big group situations whether this is carried on until the end of the reception year. I spoke with one of our parents recently who said she most def wanted her child to be able to write his name and recognise and sound out all letters and have in-depth knowledge of psrn as the school the child is going to would have this expectation !! This is not the first parent to say this to us. As a pre-school for those children who are ready for this we would of course move them on because it would be ther next step but only whilst they were engrossed in play ie role play etc - is any one else getting this feed back as well ?

I think its important to remember though that the EYFS doesnt say everyhting has to be free play, and that you cant have groups of 'structured activities' with either small or large groups. It talks about balance but leaves that balance up to individuals to interpret. Just beacuse a setting has some group activities doesnt mean it isnt following the EYFS, and it isnt unreasonable to expect that this balance will shift as chidlren get older.

Please dont get me wrong, Im not advocating chidlren sat down all morning bored to tears, but I do advocate that 'balance'

We're in a purpose built preschool setting for children 2 yrs 9 mths to 4 (previously church hall pack away) and our local reception teacher says she knows which children come from us - they're independent, sociable, excited to learn, capable of communicating with the adults and the children and able to adapt really well to new situations. Some can even write their own names and read. That's good enough for me :)

Doesn't stop me wishing I had more time, more space and more adults in order to be able to provide regular small group & individual key work sessions, which is almost impossible as we're as flexible as any setting possibly could be. Unlike the local nursery schools whose flexibility is either 5 mornings, 5 afternoons or 2 1/2 days and they STILL get more money per child than we do....

We don't do topics or themes but we do introduce the children to a variety of things which could be considered themes (light & dark, seasons, celebrations etc) We just present it in a very different way and don't feel under so much pressure to make sure every aspect of the setting adheres to the same theme, as was previously the case.

Sam

I think a bit of variety is a good thing and ultimately means parents can actually exercise choice in the kinds of pre school experience they would like for their child. I guess that the quality of practitioners is maybe as important as anything. I think if children are looked after by adults who are knowledgable, sensitive to their needs, good role models and can give them time and be interested in them, then their is room for a bit of flexibility in the way in which that 'education' is organised. :o

Thanks ev1 for your thoughts and views yes i supose settings present to there children what they feel is right, i am such a believer in when children acces all continuous provision areas that is when us as practitioners observe, use open ended questions and from this if possible enhance what they are engaged with, shall we or lets!!!! to me you have engaged with the child or childrens interest enhanced and provided nex steps all this without having to plan for the nex day for them, captour the moment then.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)