Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Indian Christmas Decorations

Hi all xD Hope you're enjoying the snow if you've got some, and you're all wrapped up warm!

As a school, we always make decorations for the church Christmas tree. This year, the theme is India. Any ideas for Indian Christmas decorations that my nursery children can make? I'm stumped! :o

Thank you :(

well India isn't really known for a Christian culture so I'm not surprise you are stumped! In the main I'd go for lots of red and gold as that's their celebratory colours. Have you tried a google search for images?

google there are a few things here that may give you inspiration. biscuits, paper chains, elephants etc

Edited by Cait

India doesn't seem to be the most obvious place to celebrate Christmas but actually it is, as Christianity is one of the major religions practised there. It is said that the disciple Thomas took Christianity to India, long before it arrived in Europe.

http://www.indianmirror.com/religions/reli6.html

I think Cait's suggestions seem good as bright colours of golds and reds would be appropriate. I think that if you look at what Traidcraft have to offer you may find some decorations made in india to give you ideas. Batik patterns used on fabric for stars or baubles could work as well. Then add lots of glitter!

Christmas day is a public holiday in India and many families, including those who are not Christian (much as in the UK0 celebrate in one way or another.

Trees decorated are often mango or banana and trees are often decorated with fruits and sometimes even small toys. Stars feature in homes and families light 'divas' much the same as seen for Diwali and place them on their roof. My Indian friend always told me the main feature was not the tree but the crib/nativity scene and that this was usually the centre of the decorations.

Hope that gives you some ideas..

I like the idea of the crib being the centre of their decorations, after all the tree is fairly new to Christian tradition.

Why not do figures from the nativity as well as stars to go on the tree and dress them in indian style costumes? I found this on the internet..scroll down.

http://www.magellantraders.com/Nativities-Indian.htm

• 1 month later...

Sorry everyone, I haven't been on the forum for a while so haven't been able to thank you for your lovely ideas! :o

In the end we decided that the children could cut out some round shapes for baubles, decorate them in red and gold, and then thread some ribbon through a hole at the top so we could hang them on the tree.

Edited by Guest

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)