Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Letters & Sounds Phase 1 Activities

Hi there!

Although I am not new to FS1, teaching Letters & Sounds is as my setting uses something called Read Write Inc to teach phonics...don't ask! Anyway, I am having an observation on Tuesday with somebody from the LA's early years coming in to observe me teaching a L&S activity. I have a read of the L&S handbook which is pretty self-explanatory. However, I am wondering whether somebody has got a really good activity that works well (for chn with EAL)??? Please???!!!

Thank you!!

Pinkdolphin xx

Was it any particular aspect of Phase 1 that you wanted to focus on? - environmental sounds, instrument sounds, rhyme and rhythm, alliteration, voice sounds or oral blending and segmenting?

Might be easier for suggestions and for planning the lesson if you had a focus on one of the aspects.

Heres a great one, and I wish you lots of look. Have you got the big book 'Walking Through the Jungle'? Collect the animals from the story: crocodile, snake, elephant, monkey etcand place them in the centre of the circle with about 6 chn. Read the story and include actions. Place the animals in the centreof the circle and introduce the animals incthe sound oraction you might use (snake sssssssssssssssssssssss) (croc - snap snap and clp your hands extending your arms etc) Have some binoculars out, and take turns spying the animals in the centre. Hoe i have explained that ok. I used itand gotan outstanding....brill for eal chn as you are using actions visual cue etc.

any questions give me a shout

ps wahooo im off from school tomorrow due to the beautiful snow

xxx

Was it any particular aspect of Phase 1 that you wanted to focus on? - environmental sounds, instrument sounds, rhyme and rhythm, alliteration, voice sounds or oral blending and segmenting?

Might be easier for suggestions and for planning the lesson if you had a focus on one of the aspects.

Hi Laila,

Ooops...fair point...I am thinking of instrument sounds.

Gesine

Heres a great one, and I wish you lots of look. Have you got the big book 'Walking Through the Jungle'? Collect the animals from the story: crocodile, snake, elephant, monkey etcand place them in the centre of the circle with about 6 chn. Read the story and include actions. Place the animals in the centreof the circle and introduce the animals incthe sound oraction you might use (snake sssssssssssssssssssssss) (croc - snap snap and clp your hands extending your arms etc) Have some binoculars out, and take turns spying the animals in the centre. Hoe i have explained that ok. I used itand gotan outstanding....brill for eal chn as you are using actions visual cue etc.

any questions give me a shout

ps wahooo im off from school tomorrow due to the beautiful snow

xxx

Great idea, thank you!!!! Will try it out with my afternoon children later on today. Enjoy the snow!!!

Gesine xx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)