Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Number Recognition

I'm looking for some fresh ideas for helping my children to learn to recognise numbers - this year's class seem to be finding it really difficult (except for 2 who can recognise to 100) and I have a couple in particular who are struggling with '1' and remember that '1' is '1' from one moment to the next.

I'm worn out trying to think of new ways to help them and I'm sure that soon my struggle is going to make whatever I do less inspiring for them.

Maybe hiding numbers in the sand/gloop/compost etc.

Hiding cardboard cut out's around the room then asking each child to find one number and bring it back (reward with a sticker).

Flashcards with a number on them.

Having an advent calendar.

Not sure if that is helpful, best of luck,

Spiral.

I'm sure you'll have numerals in different textures - sandpaper, shiny paper, rough wall paper for example.

How about each child painting a large numeral and sticking that number of catalogue pictures on it to make their own personal numeral/amout correlation?

right now we are writing numbers in the snow, making a given number of footprints and checking the thermometer!!

hope it helps

Mary

I'm looking for some fresh ideas for helping my children to learn to recognise numbers - this year's class seem to be finding it really difficult (except for 2 who can recognise to 100) and I have a couple in particular who are struggling with '1' and remember that '1' is '1' from one moment to the next.

I'm worn out trying to think of new ways to help them and I'm sure that soon my struggle is going to make whatever I do less inspiring for them.

Hi Mary

I am an EYFS consultant and was working with a Reception team at the beginning of the year looking at just the same problem!

My advice to them was to make a number line that featured photographs of the children with the number under it and if you feel the need - the correct amount of dots/shapes

So once you have taken your empty carpet for zero you get a child on their own to be number one, and then two more to be 2 and so on. The children's interest and engagement level is significantly raised because it is about them.

Experience has shown me that the funnier the pictures are, the more buy-in you get!

If your numbers go beyond the amount of children it is reasonable to count from a distance then move to fingers or children holding up other relevant objects.

I would also recommend that you do the same for your alphabet line. linking it to names or things they find interesting.

Hope this helps

Alistair

ABC does

Blog - www.abcdoes.typepad.com

You probably already are, but linking in with individual interests. Also perhaps more physical/active ways which may engage the interest of boys in particular - such as numbered buckets to throw balls/bean bags/paper 'snow balls' in. Jumping on/running to numbers as part of a game, Kicking balls at numbers on wall/goals. Numbers on cars/dinosaurs/action heros. Snail race with numbers stuck (gently) on shells.

Oooh - just spotted other post running on number recognition running along side this one lots of fantastic ideas, started in October 2009.

Good luck

Thank you so much for all of these ideas - really helpful. Will definitely be trying some of them out. The physical ones should definitely engage one of them and I like the personalised number line to help 'grab' the other one - he loves the camera and can take some lovely photos with it.

Thanks again - sometimes you just need another viewpoint to spark the thoughts going again. Might be coming back to you soon with a girl whose 'reading' is really puzzling me at the moment.

Hi Helen. I am assuming you are in reception? Lots of good ideas on this thread and the other one, but I wouldnt be getting too hung up on non recognition of numerals at this point. Id be making sure they have a good understanding of counting, and the skills involved in that, and also seeing if they are having difficulty with letter identification. Then Id ensure there is a number rich environment, so that numbers feature in many things around the room.

As you say, its god to stnd back sometims and see anoher viewpoint.

Hi Mundia,

You're right, I shouldn't be getting too hung up on it and we are doing lots of counting practice. I think partly my concern for these two children is about their difficulty in retaining anything they're told. A third of my class is also Y1 so I think that sometimes makes me more conscious of the gaps in things like this.

To be perfectly honest this week I've been focusing on foiling the post office robbery that was taking place in our new role play area and on teaching some of them how to put on gloves!

Hi Helen

Hope you get that robbery sorted and find those culprits.

Id say if you are concerned over their retention generally, rather than specifically in the number area, then it might be worth observing what and how they do retain information, and developing those skills rather than focusing on number recognition. Are they also children concentrating too?

Hi all

hope Im not repeating anyone (sorry Ive just conquered the Christmas play today and too tired to read the entire thread!!! Sorry!) but I have one child in particular who just cannot retain numbers-

Here's what I do (on a twice weekly or more basis, for ten mins etc)

have number books (sparklebox) and do a page or two

have number sheets (again sparklebox) which we use highlighters (he loves these!) t trace the shape whilst saying the number

we write the number in salt in a tray with black paper underneath (apparently good for visual learners!), in wet sand, gloop etc

I have numbers (e.g. the number being focussed on) hidden in the sand/ water (beads/ cards etc)

I use playdough number cards (Sparklebox) and get him to make the number from a sausage of playdough

in between the physical act of making a "3" or whatever, I have him run and get 3x bricks/ cars etc, (like a relay race) or say the number over and over as he traces the shape

I have also made a book of numbers for him to take home and these are made from textured card and we trace our fingers over the focus number whilst saying it

We also build towers of x amount and then find the focus number from a pack of cards/ the number chart etc

TTS do some wicked number beads to thread- these are great for hiding!

hope this helps-- any other ideas gratefully received! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)