Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Policy Questions

Hi

I did a search but came up with nothing!

Is there a lone working policy I could use as a guide anywhere please?

Does anyone state in their collection of children policy what will happen if the adult who has come to collect the child is intoxicated and deemed unsuitable to take the chidl home?

I'm trying to make sure we are covered while I have time!

Thanks

Have never known of a lone working policy as in daycare its a no-no always two members of staff even if only one child. As for the intoxicated parent scenario - I have a procedure whereby if this happens we advise the parent that it would not be advisable for them to take the child ( especially if driving ( and yes I have had this on more than one occasion ) and I inform them that I will be calling the other partner/ someone within the family to sort out a lift/ask for advice. etc.to which they agreed, and I was able to organise. I only had one situation where the parent got aggressive verbally - but luckily at the time I was working on an MOD site and I just advised the person that I would have to contact the MOD police if they decided to drive off - and they relented and waited for thier partner - better that than a court martial. :o

In one of our policies it states that if the staff deem the parent to be intoxicated, because of the risk to the child's safety whether driving or not we do not let the child leave with them.

At no time would staff be on their own to cope with this.... unless the other member of staff had popped to the toilet or something like that!

Do you mean doing packaway or being in a hall on their own? We have a reference to this in our staff handbook, i.e. staff are advised not to be alone in the setting, but if they choose to do so it is at their own risk.

Thanks for your replies. I will have to make sure add something reguarding intoxication!

As for the lone working policy, it does refer to being alone in the setting at opening or closing but also home visits and also in the setting, as in if a child were late to be collected there should always be 2 members of staff etc

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)