Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Nc Levels/p Scales Assessment And Average Points Scores

Hi there,

I'm seeking help from those in the know about KS1 assessment relating to average points scores. I have recently taken on the role as assessment coordinator for KS1. Every term, teachers assess their children against NC levels which I input into a computer programme which automatically translates into points and this is used to track progress over the year. I have just got the year 1 data for the end of the Autumn term - this is the first time that they have been assessed against NC levels (as still been using EYFSP until now) so this data is crucial for on entry data for KS1. Hope I'm making sense so far...

So a Wc is given a value of 1 point, Wb a value of 3 points, Wa a value of 5 points, 1C a value of 7 points etc etc, all makes sense so far but for the 2 SEN children in the cohort, we want to assess them against p-scales. So I have looked at p-scales info and believe the children to be a P6, but when entered on the system as P6 it is given a value of 4 points which is higher than Wc and Wb. I was under the impression that P - scales were lower than NC levels, and whilst 'W' is below NC levels, surely it is normal for children in year 1 at this stage in the year to be working as 'w' but not be SEN? So if my SEN children make good progress and progress from P6 to Wc, it will show that they have made negative progress which does not seem right. Am I interpreting this correctly and has anyone got advise for me regarding this?

Sorry if I have confused you! Thanks KST

Ive never heard of your W levels before. Im also still using EYFSP for my class where appropriate this year--we've been told to run with that until Easter this year! Its quite hard though to give a measure of what the children can do.

What is the tracker program that you are using?

KST in my LA 'P' scales are not considered until the end of Y1 and until then children are still on the EYFSP looking at the points on the sheet this would then make more sense as children who cannot be awarded a NC level 1 can be awarded a 'P' scale.

It may help to ask your SEN support in your LA what their take is on this.

Lorna

Thanks for your advise and links. I think I may well contact our SEN support at our LA. Our LA have told us to use the profile until Christmas which is what we have done, and to now assess the children against national curriculum levels. 'W' levels are working towards level 1. There are a few children still working towards (quite a few in writing!). I agree that using EYFSP would be better but our tracker programme doesn't recognise them within this context but we do still use the EYFS for planning for those children still needing to access it. We are using something called Pearsone E1 for our tracking which our LA recommends but is soon to change to something else.

Thanks again. KST x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)