Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Flood!

I could cry...........................just back form my setting, where we've suffered ceiling collapses and burst pipes. Have almost definately lost our beautiful community playthings wooden blocks, and cupboard units. Have lost all our stock of books, paper, art stuff soft toys,etc........................brand new carpets and lino fitted last week, have had it. Plus side is that landlord is saying he will cover the insurance, but it looks like i won't get open next week.................

Oh what a shame. I dont think we realise just what we have until we lose it. Hope you get sorted soon.

A friend of ours just spent a month in Australia watching the cricket. came home to a flooded house so while they're fixing the £35,000 worth of damage he's off to Thailand! If only eh?

Edited by Rea

Oh Narnia what dreadful news - hope you can get things sorted quickly, our roof leaked in one or two places, but, thankfully it is far away from where we store any of our things and gradually over a period of 3 or 4 years the maintenance on it has finally stopped the leaks, it is a flat roof - so always at some kind of risk.

Oh Narnia :o So sorry to hear of your news.

Is there a nearby alternative accommodation that you can use until things are sorted?, Contact your EY department for support.

I still have some items left from when I closed my preschool, PM me, if I can help in any way, I'm here, just ask.

Peggy

well, we're looking to open tomorrow as planned.We have sucked up over 100 litres of water so far, but the new carpets have had it........the fitter came back and said it's no good trying to dry them, as they will start to smell ( I have to say, right now, they don't smell at all, but the new screeding they put underneath it is cracked and split, so that will have to be redone)), so more disruption there. We've totted things up and it looks as if weve lost about £5,500 worth of stuff..............over £1,000 of that was books! So, once this is sorted, I need to look again at my insurance levels as I really think we would never have covered it all if we'd lost everything. (Oh yes, Landlord is now saying they will not be claiming for our stuff, as they only had buildings cover and minimal contents, as they don't keep much of their own in the building............BUT, they will claim for a new fridge for us!My argument with that is, we had to move all of our equipment into a room that wasn't having new carpet, at the landlords request, so the fitter could do the job every where else quickly, and of course, the pipe burst......................in the room we had stored everything in!) Ah well, fingers crossed please that my insurer ( PSLA insurance) will sort it. I did speak to a nice chap there, who said it is manic at the moment, due to so many claims, and to just chuck everything out, but take photos of the damage to back up my claim. I hope that's true........................I have huge bags of soaking wet stuff outside the building right now, and all the spare clothes are in my tumble drier as we speak! Anyone had any experience of putting in claim with the PSLA ( they use Royal Alliance I think), let me know how you got on?

Thank you all for the offers of books and equipment......................can I come back to you if insurers don't sort this out, please?? XXXX

Hi Narnia, what a nightmare, I hope PSLA are of help to you, our insurance is with them too. I discovered our burst pipe at village hall we run from yesterday morning-we were due to open today but closed for the week as the pipe burst on the stage by the electrics so unsure if safe and nowhere to now store our toys.

An insurance assessor was meant to visit today but didn't turn up (prob overloaded with claims) but we spent all day cleaning toys- the majority of our toys are stored underneath the stage that was flooded and have had to throw some away, although lucky in that wasn't much and also seemingly got rid of all the toys I don't particularly favour lol going to miss that electric keyboard that only plays one beat haha :o

Have you spoken to your early years team to see if can still have funding? We have notified O too, luckily EY team said can still have funding to pay staff wages (otherwise we wouldn't get paid- its in policy too unfortunately after several snow closures)

I do feel for you as you seem to be hit very hard very unlucky, I hope everyone in your setting is rallying around giving you the support you need. Thinking of you

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)