Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Afl In Reception Class

Hi

I wonder if anyone is doing AFL (Shirley Clark methods) in their Reception class. I have a mixed reception/Year 1 class (only the 7 summer born Y1s) and my Head wants me to use the Shirley Clark AFL methods in my class. I can see how it works really well in the other classes and would be perfect for my Year 1s but I just can't see a way of talk partners/self assesssment etc working with reception. The only way I can see it working is to have more formal teaching and have the Year 1s helping the YRs with their learning which is not what EYFS requires! HELP!

Thanks

Julescc x

Talk partners can work, although I was not an advocate when I was in reception! Its a very valuable way of making sure everyone can contribute and you can adapt to suit you and your class and still be using the principles in practise!

Self assessment could also work in reception if you use it with your adult directed activities. There could even be a place for children to self assess their attainment/ achievement/ participation in CI. Children will soon take on a thumbs up, thumbs down or even a sideways thumb to assess how they think they have been doing. You dont need to formally record although on written work you could also ask the children to place a smiley/ sad face, red, green or amber.

Give it a go, you might be surprised! Good luck.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)