Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Prsn Calculating - Small Group Activities

Hi,

Wonder if anyone can help...im sitting here planning, trying to come up with some exciting and meaningful ways of teaching children to

" Find the total number of items in two groups by counting all of them."

I need some ideas for small group focussed time/adult led activities...if anyone has anythign that might start me thinking in the right way please suggest! My mind isnt workingvery well at the minute haha :) and i feel very uninspired!

Thanks everyone!

ooh forgot to say im FS2 reception :)

Edited by clm33

Ah join the club clm33, i'm planningto do that aswell next week. Ive managed my number recognition for my experienced learners 22-36m, but really struggling on getting ideas for scale point C4. Its so hard to catch them saying in converstaion that relates to that scale point. I was thinking about placing two hoops in the centre of our circle and choosing a child to roll a numbered/spotted die. Whatever it landed on (4) child selects that many compare bears into the 1st hoop. Another child roll the dice, and selects that many and places it in the second hoop. S WE ARE DOING THE ACTIVITY I WILL WRITE the number sentence on the board. Is that too like year 1 though.

Another idea was, chn are in an aeroplane/car or whatever takes their fancy. They are off to....fairy land/jungle or wherever th y want to go, but....we have some very late passengers who have just booked a ticket. HOW MANY do we have now?

HAope that helps a little. WILL TRY GET Y PLANNING DONE AND POST IT ON HERE FOR YOU. eVERY LITTLE HELPS HEY?

XXX

Thanks so much for your help popcorn.. :o .you got some good ideas :) :) :) I knew someone on here would be able to help :) :)... I will also have another think and we can share! More heads the better i think :)

If anyone else has anything to add please do :0

Thanks x

Oh just realised i didnt reply to the comment about writing it on the board...guess depends on whether you think your children are ready for it? Think that might be a bit too ambitious for mine at the minute but you never kniow :)

Edited by clm33

Sorry, jusdt about my planning....advanced learners (yellow) are chn who are in the 30-50m stage, and expert learners are green (30-60m) hope that helps. will think of other ideas and let you know

xx

Guest tinkerbell

we do this every day with the fruit in the fruit bowl.We always make sure we have 2 or 3 varieties of fruit and make up problems ,sharing ,counting, putting 2 groups together etc

Tinkerbell

I have to say this is one of those statements I really dont like, as it tells you how the child has to find the total (ie by counting them all). Some children naturally 'count on' and easily recognize small sets of 3 and 4 (subitizing) and therefore don't need to 'count them all'.

In terms of ideas, I would agree with Tinkerbell, so much of this can be done in snack time, and at other opportunities during the day through role play, games (dice games are very good for this). I wouldn't worry too much about writing the sentence down at this point either, but you could make materials available for them to make their own mark about what they are doing.

Thanks for all the replies...sorry havent been able to get onto computer had a hectic few days :) Popcorn you have been really helpful thanks... I came up with a fewe ideas (with a friend and a glass of wine....funny how that helps :) )

My children are into monsters and dinosaurs so perhaps telling a story about the monster who lost his spots - using monster paintings children did last week we could pick a handfulof spots (big coloured buttons) out of a bag, and the partner picks another handful of different coloured spots to put on ... How many does the monster have altogether? (make sense?)

And we also thought about candles on birthday cakes - i.e. Jack is five and his friend peter is 3, they share a birthday cake - how many candles will we need altogether. Using playdough to make cakes and birthday candles.

We also will; do it on general throughout the day but will use these sort of ideas for small group focussed tasks.

Hope all works well popcorn!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)