Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Working In Partnership With Parents With Babies

Hello everybody

I wanted to know how you work in partnership with parents in your setting when looking after babies.

Aside from the sharing of information re records,observations e.t.c.

I am going to be writing an assignment on working in partnership, so would welcome your imput.

Thank you very much

Edited by sallyn04

I think settling in is key! Get this right and all is well, treat the baby like a parcel and childcare like a left luggage locker, then they are emotionally disturbed!

Parents may need you to pass on information about safety issues, weaning, attachment theory, separation anxiety etc.

We don't have babies but I would also add that respecting the parent's wishes is very important in addition to collecting the information. I have a mum who has recently put her younger baby in nursery, and specifically asked he not be given grapes. She admitted she was neurotic and he would probably be fine but the nursery went ahead and fed him them anyway without trying to reassure her or work with her to overcome her worries about them. It might seem a little thing but for a stressed out mum, who has just gone back to work, feeling guilty about that and with two older children to also settle in various places, the last thing she needed was to see grape skins in her baby's nappy that evening. Although the requests of parents might seem odd or unnecessary it is better to try to work out why they have requested these things and work with them than to take a "setting knows best" approach. This I feel is true of all ages, but with parents of small babies, emotions might be more raw than if the child is older.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)