Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Individual Learning Plans

Hello, as mentioned in my other post, I've just come back from mat leave, and my nursery have indroduced individual learing plans.

Does everyone do these now?? and how do they link into your weekly planning?

With our planning we have 3 focus children that the week is planned around there interests, but the room Im in has 24 children full/part time. this will not even cover each child once a month. Each individual plan has suggested activities for the childs interests under each of the areas of learning, but I cant see the point of these plans if only three of the plans are being used each week.

In my mind the keyperson shoud plan for there keygroup and then the room leader can pull these ideas together for an overall plan. Or am I over thinking this??

Thank you xx

NOW I need help!!! I'm looking for a Individual plan format online. I know I've either seen it on here or on the eyfs sit but I can't find it.

It looks like a circle in the middle with childs name interests, and around the outside are the areas of development. On the bottom of the page is three circles with arrows. I can't find it anywhere and I was sure I had saved it on my pc but not :o

CAN ANYONE HELP ME??? xD:(:(

Sounds like it's being over engineered to me. Can't you just respond spontaneously using your knowledge of the children?

Sorry I know that wasn't what you had asked but I really strongly question the value of this kind of planning in terms of value added for the use of staff time. Our 'planning' is pretty much all intuitive or retrospective, i.e. we would pull out the stuff we know the children are currently 'into' each morning, or actually during a session, based on staff's reading of the children's interests.

Maybe Ofsted won't like it, but it works for us and our children.

As a parent I would never expect this kind of individualised planning for my own children. I would rather your time was spent on playing with them!

Suzie - it's not really over engineered. I do these plans occasionally when I am trying to pull my thinking together for a child. I have been given their interests at home, I know their interests at pre-school, and so then I can think of the resources I have which would best suit that child and make sure they are available over time in the 6 areas. They are not done weekly at my setting, that would be too much. For some staff it does really help them focus and think about how to help a child's next steps bearing children's interests in mind over a period of time,rather than a spontaneous interest which they may show day to day.

Yes, I can see what you mean, it's fair enough if it helps inform staff's thinking.

I just felt that the OP was being asked to do 3 children a week and plan around their interests - what about the other 21?

lol

Its really hard finding the balance between too much planning and not enough = child v's paperwork

Unfortunaltely Ofsted want all this paperwork to prove that you do the things that you should be doing, and that utimately means that you end up not having enough time to do it, unless you do it all in your own time.

I'm only 29, but childcare has changed so much since I started at a nursery 10 years ago!

In reference to the individual planning I found it so thank you whoever posted the standards website xxxx

And the planning that my nursery does covers each child over a month, so their interest and next steps are included in the planning. I'm not saying that is right, but as Im from a large setting (up to 150 children) we all need to have the same planning and many of the other staff members are not experienced enough to provide what their keychildren need insinctively.

However I have just gone back to my room as room leader and have found that although ILPs have been in the nursery since October, many keypeople are very behind on this, and I have no idea how to get them back up to date. I decided that we would worry more about what is happening now and get all ILPs for this mon this month up to date and then look at the last four months - eekk!!

However I have just gone back to my room as room leader and have found that although ILPs have been in the nursery since October, many keypeople are very behind on this, and I have no idea how to get them back up to date. I decided that we would worry more about what is happening now and get all ILPs for this mon this month up to date and then look at the last four months - eekk!!

I would focus on now and ensuring staff are confident in filling them in

Yes, I can see what you mean, it's fair enough if it helps inform staff's thinking.

I just felt that the OP was being asked to do 3 children a week and plan around their interests - what about the other 21?

Yes from the original couple of paragraphs of Ickels post I would agree with you suzie - I wouldn't be happy only planning and focusing on 3 children per week, but her last sentence says "to my mind a keyworker should plan for their key group and then the room leader can pull these ideas together for an overall plan is a pretty common way to plan for lots of groups

and the form she was looking for could aid that.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)