Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Chinese New Year

What are your student's strengths - creative - could she do a dragon dance with the children - or could they make or decorate red envelopes for lucky money, or make dragon puppets, or Rabbit masks, as it is the year of the Rabbit, ours will be doing this, or they can make their "own animal year mask", we are mostly dogs and pigs this year with a couple of rats! Do something with the story of all the animals and the race which is said to have taken place to devise the order. Enact the story of Nian the Monster. Ours have also copied chinese writing for Happy New Year onto red banners with black paint. Made Chinese lanterns - these did look lovely, we had some A5 black sugar paper onto which they chose some chinese wrapping paper to stick, leaving a boarder of black top and bottom, they did the usual cuts, they looked great, we strung them up across the room. They have made New Year cards from folded red paper using black pens and gold pens.

Edited by Panders

Lots of building and PSRN possibilities around Great Wall of China.

Building kites (google for lots of types) - kites were invented in China amongst many other things, including paper.

Also animals of China - Panda, tigers, etc.

Hi mumm, Can you ask your student to bring some ideas for you to discuss, this is what I always did when I had students.. it was to get them thinking about what they might do, or researching where they might look for ideas (eg by coming here!). That way, she has ownership of the whole process.

Hi all. My student is doing a topic on chinese new year. She has some good ideas for the areas but needs a focused group activity (about 6 kids). She is being observed on this. Any ideas would be greatfully received.

Hi lots of the activities suggested by others lend themselves to independent learning; I have used them in my classroom for children to use independently and have focussed my teaching in developing role and language in a Chinese Restaurant/ Take awy role play and in observational drawing of a model of a chinese dragon. Both work well for focus work, especially if being observed. I took various roles in the role play, planning what language I wanted to develop and identifying an

Hi all. My student is doing a topic on chinese new year. She has some good ideas for the areas but needs a focused group activity (about 6 kids). She is being observed on this. Any ideas would be greatfully received.

Hi lots of the activities suggested by others lend themselves to independent learning; I have used them in my classroom for children to use independently and have focussed my teaching in developing role and language in a "Chinese Restaurant and take away" role play and in observational drawing of a model of a chinese dragon. Both work well for focus work, especially if being observed. I took various roles in the role play, planning what language I wanted to develop. 4 children at a time for indiv. drawing of dragon, looking at shape and describing texture and I drew as well!

Edited by Guest

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)