Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Talking Tubs

Hi All

I am at present undertaking my foundation degree in early years and for one of my tasks I have decided to undertake carrying out a "talking tub" with the children.

Although I have done treasure baskets with some children I am nit sure whether the talking tub would be similar.

Has anyone done this and do you have any great items or ideas I could try out?

:o

thanks

dramapixie

Hi All

I am at present undertaking my foundation degree in early years and for one of my tasks I have decided to undertake carrying out a "talking tub" with the children.

Although I have done treasure baskets with some children I am nit sure whether the talking tub would be similar.

Has anyone done this and do you have any great items or ideas I could try out?

xD

thanks

dramapixie

Sorry I have no experience of using talking tubs though strangely enough I was looking at some suppliers this week. I really liked one that had a theme of 'Autumn' lots of photos and objects but they were quite pricey! As with many resources I thought it would be easier and cheaper(!) to make my own. I also thought home made could address children's needs better. I guess the idea is that they investigate, think and discuss and of course ability to do so varies enormously across the age and developmental range.

Sorry didn't mean to prattle I really clicked reply to say welcome to this fantastic forum

Good luck with your study and the talking tub hopefully someone who has used them will be along soon :o

You should try to get hold of a copy of Talking Thinking Floorbooks by Claire Warden it has some good info about talking tubs

Thanks

Yes I have been told of this book but it was not in at the library where I go for my Uni days. However I think I have found another library that has it. Better get along there quick!

dramapixie

Sorry I have no experience of using talking tubs though strangely enough I was looking at some suppliers this week. I really liked one that had a theme of 'Autumn' lots of photos and objects but they were quite pricey! As with many resources I thought it would be easier and cheaper(!) to make my own. I also thought home made could address children's needs better. I guess the idea is that they investigate, think and discuss and of course ability to do so varies enormously across the age and developmental range.

Sorry didn't mean to prattle I really clicked reply to say welcome to this fantastic forum

Good luck with your study and the talking tub hopefully someone who has used them will be along soon :o

Hi

Thanks for the info. I had already thought about taking a few large unusual items along that we do not normally have at nursery and based around their interests with an extension to whichever children I involve.

Really enjoying the course but some days I could do without it!!

dramapixie

I haven't heard of talking tubs but I think I know what you mean and there is an article somewhere on here about 'biscuit box banter' which I have used to create a weekly tin of themed things for the children to explore either independently during child-initiated play or we use it as a focus for discussion. We have been using it to introduce 'themes' of the week or day such as from yesterday it was filled with objects relating to CNY, it contained Christmassy objects the first week back this term which they loved and it is has been free and simple to set up- we had several big chocolate tins donated after Christmas and all the items are from either around the nursery or home!

Hope I'm on the same wavelength here

Edited by ExtraordinaryChicken

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)