Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Afl/talk Partners In Mixed Reception And Y1 Class

HI

PLEASE can anyone help. I am being pushed to implement AFL in my mixed YR/Y1 class (only 7 summer born Y1s) and I really don't see how to do it and no one in my school can help. I have implemented Talk Partners at carpet time but most of the children are too young to do this properly (12 chn are still 4) and the others get quite frustrated! I can't use talk partners for self assessment as they are not doing the same level of work. I could just use talk partners with the 7 Y1s but they won't have much variety!

I also have to do Big Writing with the 7 Y1s while the others are playing!

Any suggestions welcome :o

Thanks

Julescc x

This is a difficult one, isnt it? Presumably your small group of yr1s have been deemed needing to continue to access a FS style curriculum and yet now you have the demands of them accessing the same "activities" as their yr 1 peers?

AFL should be easy for all, you can introduce a simple thumbs up and down as to how they think their learning went today, how they participated in an activity etc etc. You might be able to introduce simple recording of smiley faces etc for yr1 in their recorded work.

As far as big write goes, are you following that exactly or is this just a term for independent writing? do you not have a quiet space where you or a TA could sit with a group to write? How about reception having a go too? If you were really creative in your approach it could work well?

Hi

I agree with Susan get children to reflect on what they have done and how they feel about their work. Do a couple of children after each CI session after modelling yourself you wll be amazed how quickly the children pick it up and then do as well themselves. As for Big Write in Y1 the expectation is for 20 mins so as Susan has said this could be a small group activity for those Y1 children. Have you seen the Big Talk book? It is full of great ideas and excellent for reception! Also look at High/Scope work on recall time that would help with your AfL. God luck

Lorna

Hi

I used lots of AFL in my reception class and this is what i have found works for me....

Remember it has to be informative and give you information as to where that child is in their learning and processing.

Thumbs up/down - I can't get my head around this as it doesn't actually tell you anything about what they can do. Those who are bright enough, put up their thumbs, those that copy put up their thumbs and it is never a true indicator.

Talk partners - works an absolute treat for me, they took a while to pick it up and now they are great. I have a velcro photo display board so they can visually see who their talk friend is that week and sit with them when i ask.

Clever questionning - this is by far the best afl going. Question your children clearly, ask Q to understand where they are and how they do things to inform what you do next. A quick question to selected children before they leave the carpet is way more informative than traffic lights, smiley faces, thumbs up/down.

Also lots of Q when they are in continuous provision and what you find out can either be acted on there and then or addressed by the facilitating adult the next day/week.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)