Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Care Plans

When children start nursery there parents/carers fill in a registration form with details of allergies and any medical conditions, is this enough or for example if a child is allergic to milk do the parents have to fill in a care plan with the setting? ongoing argument over this, thanx

In our preschool a child with an allergy would not have a care plan and I guess it's down to individual settings as to how you document/deal with such things.

We are a very small setting and have several children who can only have halal food and two with dairy allergies. The details are recorded in the 'unique child' book that parents complete on admission and this forms the start of the children's learning journey.

The dairy issue applies at snack time (they have soya milk) and cooking activities (we cook with non dairy ingredients on days they attend)

I might be missing the point here but what would you put in a care plan just for a child with milk allergy?

IN our setting all staff are fully aware of the children who have allergies, I suppose if there were lots of children with several different allergies it might be more difficult but I don't see what writing it in a care plan would do to benefit the children? Providing all steps are taken to ensure the child does not have whatever they are allergic to I don't see the need for 'extra' paper work

Will follow this with interest and wondering if I have missed something :o

I use Care Plans for on-going medical needs, so if a child has epilepsy, asthma etc. the care plan gives a brief account of what the child's condition is, what medication they take regularly, and after consultation with parents it shows how we will deal with with their condition day to day any emergency i.e. what the parents want us to do in the event of that happening. Phone numbers etc. I don't see why you can't have one for milk allergy.

Hello,

I have a care plan in place for children who need epipens and for children with asthma. You need to have recorded written details of medication, dosage and the expiry date of the medication - amongst other things.

It is also a very good way of having everything written down and the parent/carer signs their agreement and their acknowledgement.

This will ensure that you have the written permission that you need, ensuring that the child, parent, you and your staff team are all protected against any future problems, particularly you and your staff.

Hope that helps

Zo x

Sorry just wanted to add, that I would have a care plan in place for a child with a milk allergy also.

Edited by Guest

Hello,

I have a care plan in place for children who need epipens and for children with asthma. You need to have recorded written details of medication, dosage and the expiry date of the medication - amongst other things.

It is also a very good way of having everything written down and the parent/carer signs their agreement and their acknowledgement.

This will ensure that you have the written permission that you need, ensuring that the child, parent, you and your staff team are all protected against any future problems, particularly you and your staff.

Hope that helps

Zo x

Sorry just wanted to add, that I would have a care plan in place for a child with a milk allergy also.

I am clearly in the minority in not having care plans :o Of course such important details are recorded on our long term medical form. It is signed by parents at the outset in terms of giving consent and when medication is given they sign when they collect the child so there is no doubt they know that fred had 2 puffs of ventolin at 2pm or whatever,

I am genuinely interested what you would write on a care plan for a child with a milk allergy. We have it recorded on the child's personal details, all staff are aware and the child has soya milk at snack time. I am not trying to be critical or awkward in any way I just dont understand why I might need to repeat information that we have into a care plan. Maybe it is just a case of what we call our different pieces of paperwork I don't know xD

I am clearly in the minority in not having care plans :o Of course such important details are recorded on our long term medical form. It is signed by parents at the outset in terms of giving consent and when medication is given they sign when they collect the child so there is no doubt they know that fred had 2 puffs of ventolin at 2pm or whatever,

I am genuinely interested what you would write on a care plan for a child with a milk allergy. We have it recorded on the child's personal details, all staff are aware and the child has soya milk at snack time. I am not trying to be critical or awkward in any way I just dont understand why I might need to repeat information that we have into a care plan. Maybe it is just a case of what we call our different pieces of paperwork I don't know xD

I think you are probably right Gezabel, we call it something different. The care plan is really a document I devise with the parent as to how they want their child looked after given that they have on-going medical needs. It is in reality an agreement between us a way of reassuring the parent of what is going to happen should xyz happen.

If Iwere administering any kind of drug they would need to complete and sign my Medication Book as well as and when any drug was given.

I suppose with the milk allergy it would give time to talk to parents about the likely effects should the child come into contact with milk, if it has happened in the past how was it dealt with, which parent or carer to ring, we had one boy who had open access to a special ward in a local hospital so that went on his records so if we need to ring for an ambulance we could say that's where to take him, mum should be rung first as she was the nearest in terms of distance, she could administer a drug rectally before he went to hospital. It kept a record of the care his parents wanted him to have in one place as an overview.

I think you are probably right Gezabel, we call it something different. The care plan is really a document I devise with the parent as to how they want their child looked after given that they have on-going medical needs. It is in reality an agreement between us a way of reassuring the parent of what is going to happen should xyz happen.

If Iwere administering any kind of drug they would need to complete and sign my Medication Book as well as and when any drug was given.

I suppose with the milk allergy it would give time to talk to parents about the likely effects should the child come into contact with milk, if it has happened in the past how was it dealt with, which parent or carer to ring, we had one boy who had open access to a special ward in a local hospital so that went on his records so if we need to ring for an ambulance we could say that's where to take him, mum should be rung first as she was the nearest in terms of distance, she could administer a drug rectally before he went to hospital. It kept a record of the care his parents wanted him to have in one place as an overview.

Thanks for this, I was getting a bit worried :o but I guess we actually have care plans for all our children. They all have signed consent forms for emergency treatment to be given but some (with known medical diagnosis) have more detail on than others.

Some wise person on here pointed me in the direction of this for advise/info/sample policies and plans...

www.medicalconditionsatschool.org.uk

Hope it helps!

Nona

I wuld recommend having a look at Managing medicnes in schools and early years settings

There are parents consent forms and care plan forms at the back. If an allergy required any medication, I would always recommend a care plan, it isnt just about the enuring that the food is not availabe, it's more about what emergency procedures you would follow, what signs you wld look for in an anaphylatic reaction, who would administer an epipen, who would call the ambulance etc etc.

But I would also want to determine iof the child has a genuine allergy to milk rather than an intolerance to it. ie what happens if the child encounters milk?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)