Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Pe In Reception

Hi everyone. Really interested to hear your views on PE in Reception. Do you still have weekly whole class formal PE lessons, or provide for Physical development in planned and resourced CP areas, or a mixture of the two? Feel I need to overhaul my provision but not sure which route to take. Thanks.

Annette

Hi everyone. Really interested to hear your views on PE in Reception. Do you still have weekly whole class formal PE lessons, or provide for Physical development in planned and resourced CP areas, or a mixture of the two? Feel I need to overhaul my provision but not sure which route to take. Thanks.

Annette

Hi, our reception classes have a formal PE lesson once a week with their teacher in the hall. They also have an hour of PE activities once a week with a sports coach as part of their teacher's PPA cover.

HI

We still have PE 2 times a week. We put it in so we get hall time so its always there for other things like drama but we do use it for dance activities and gymnastics activities, and in the summer will still put in for time to have the big field again we do let the children have balls etc in our outside but theres nothing like just being able to give the ball a big kick etc. We still provide physical - bikes, balls, bats, skipping ropes, stepping stones etc for outside daily but we do not have climbing outside. With gymnastics i still give an element of what the children would like out how can we arrange the equipment which they enjoy and i still go with what the childrens interests which has been space recently so we have been pretending we are walking on the moon climbing over and under moon rocks, looking for aliens and creating space stations with the equipment.

Hi. Similar to the above really - we have a session a week in the hall with the class teacher, usually following the Val Sabin scheme with some of the TOPS programme incorporated for warm ups. Outside we have space to run - just about - bikes,scooters and a climbing frame and we've just spent a lot of money on a SNUG play set which can be used inall areas of the curriculum but the bits that are available all the time tend to be used for PD. No grass to speak of though which is a shame!

i have two hall slots a week just so we can use of a big free space. Like above we use it for p.E. but also drama, songing and action games that need lots of space. my dance sessions link to the topic or i just put some music on and let the children use the space to dance along. I get my staff to dance along to and i will someimes shout out suggestive movements or think about being high/ low ect my gym sessions are like above i ask the children what equipment they wnat out and they decide how to arrange it (at first i put it out so the children get an idea of the equpiment and ways to arrange it then i let them do it).

I also have physical stuff outside everyday for use during outdoor play (bikes, ball, bats, hoops, balancing things.)

I use my P.E. sessions mainly for climbing and jumping ect as outside we don't have anything they can climb realy high or pratice jumping off.

Emma

Hi. Similar to the above really - we have a session a week in the hall with the class teacher, usually following the Val Sabin scheme with some of the TOPS programme incorporated for warm ups. Outside we have space to run - just about - bikes,scooters and a climbing frame and we've just spent a lot of money on a SNUG play set which can be used inall areas of the curriculum but the bits that are available all the time tend to be used for PD. No grass to speak of though which is a shame!

I can't believe you got a SNUG play set!! I'm so envious, you lucky thing! Can you tell us more about it, how the school decided to place it as a priority, how you use it... anything!

Annette

Hi Annette,

We have 2 slots in the hall each week. 1 session is for dance/ movement and is taken by one of the assistants who is a dancer. She has taught them various styles of dancing, they just love moving around to the music! Some dance/ movement lessons are done in conjunction with a book the children have enjoyed and they are asked to move around like various characters in the book, like 'Jungle Boogie' or the characters from 'The 3 Little Pigs'.

I take our 2nd weekly slot and it is a more structured lesson. 1st term we did activvities that focussed mainly on co-ordination like balancing bean bags on various parts of the body, different ways of passing and catching a ball. 2nd term we are doing yoga which the children really seem to enjoy. Great for body awareness and listening skills. Next term we will be doing gymnastics.

My school is new and doesn't have a lot of PE equipment and weather cold outside (I'm in Russia) so a lot of imagination used but we try and incorporate as much PD as possible in other learning areas as well.

BUT a lot of available literature and publications say that children shouldn't be having formal PE lessons at such a young age and should be allowed to run around and be active as part of their daily activities.

Hope you find something that works for you!

Saffa

Similar to all above posts - we have 2 hall slots per week for P.E. alongside the full use of our outdoor space with all the PD activities.

One session we use for skills/games and one we use for dance (based on children's current interests, changed weekly) or gymnastics (very loosely based on Val Sabin as I find her too prescriptive)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)