Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Charging For Shift Workers

I have had 2 enquiries from shift workers, wanting care for 20ish hours per week but on a pattern that blocks out every day.

I was wondering how people would charge for this. I only have one vacancy, so I need to earn a certain income, yet I feel strongly that Registered Childminding is to support families like this.

One family was quite accepting of the fact I would need to charge a higher hourly rate, the other wanted a discount on my hourly rate as I was too expensive.

When I am asked to discount my rates I point out the assistance available through childcare vouchers (get in quickly) and working tax credits. If they're not accessing these facilities they're either so rich they don't need to, or working outside the system. Not my business to know but that knowledge helps me to stick to my guns.

Re the shift work. How old are the children? If nearing school-age age or raising eight, then I think it's worth taking the children at 75% of the total hours. ' Bird in the hand' and all that. Once again a lot of their fee will be covered by working tax credits or childcare vouchers.

Good luck,

Honey

In both cases the children were 1 and would be occupy 40 or 50% of hours.

I have the one vacancy and am the sole earner for my family at present.

im not a child minder, but as a nursery, if a parent requires us to keep a place open for them, even when they will not be using it every day, they are required to pay for that place. you have to maintain a certain income for yourself, if all your places expected the same, would it be financially viable? we always try to accommodate children's individual needs, however if it comes at a financial cost to you, then parents have to be reasonable.. would they agree to be on call at work but not be paid for that?

If it were me, I'd go with the people who respected me the most. If you go for the full-timer who wants you to cut your rate, you need to make sure your contract is water-tight. 'Give and inch and take a mile' springs to mind. Take a deposit in lewe(?) of notice.

When you say you only have one place, I'm assuming you have two small children of your own at home. Are any of them nearing Reception age? You'll get another place then, and if you manage to pick up a nursery aged child there is a likely hood Ofsted would increase numbers for an afternoon. And get hold of some after schoolers - not so easy if yours aren't in the school system but that can be really good money.

Stay strong and good luck

Honey

I won't get another place in September as I only have 1 place in total!

I have only been advertising a short while, but by coincidence I had 2 enquiries from shift workers (and living near a teaching hospital and an airport this is likely to happen again). I will hang on and see what else comes up.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)