Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Research Project

Hi Everyone,

Like many others I have reached the stage of my Foundation degree that requires me to carry out a research project. As I work in a parent committee managed setting, I have chosen 'Are parent management committees effective in encouraging parental involvement ? ' as my research question. I plan to send out questionnaires to the parents at my own setting as well as staff, I am hoping to prepare 5 open ended questions, but at the moment I am drawing a blank knowing where to start, so I would really appreciate any ideas.

Thanks in anticipation

I did my research project on parent partnership though not from the angle you are doing.

If you want a peek at my questionnaire email or PM me with your email address and I will go dig it out for you!

Hi

I did a similar project but I looked at the barriers committees face in running a pre-school, I think I tried this approach from the other side of the fence to get more empathy rather than just moaning about them all the time :o. I don't know if that angle would be any help to you!

good luck with it

I'm chair of a committee run preschool.

In our setting, parents are either totally 'in', or basically totally 'out', i.e. not involved at all. The levels of commitment required are not for everyone. My latest parent questionnaire elicited 8 responses and we have 28 parents at the setting!

I wonder if it would be easier for you to get evidence on something like the barriers to parental involvement as Johanna says? There are so many of these, and it is definitely something that needs to be addressed in terms of the future for the sector.

I'm not sure it's up to the committee to 'encourage parental involvement' - we can't force them to join in, I've tried cajoling, going for the emotional angle, etc. etc. I would say that is more the role of the staff team.

Same as Suzie, they are either in or most definilty out.

I've been staff at the setting I'm currently chair of. In both roles I've tried to get parents to take an interest, as staff I tried to get them to see how their involvement could help their child and how they could have a say in ho we ran and what we offered. As a chair I try to get them to see how they can help support the group for future generations, brush on on skills ~(it can all go on their CV at some point) and share expertise. Its always a hard slog to be honest. The only thing that really works is threat of closure. The best committees I've worked with and on are those that have friends join together, they galvanise everyone into trying harder.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)