Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Water Topic

our theme at the moment has become 'water', having talked about water and done our themed 'spider diagram' of what we know and want to find out the children have come up with lotsof questions about where does water come from and where does it go e.g. when it goes down the drain - then what?

has anyone got any good ideas for this, i'm a little stuck, or any ideas I can introduce during this topic that perhaps they won't have thought of?

have thought of saving water, how we use water around the home.

Lucie x

Mine were fascinated with the water cycle last year when we were doing our Bear Hunt theme. I put it in as a 'throw away' but they really picked it up and drew some wonderful pictures that I scribed their explanations on. We had water races down the concrete slope. How about freezing it, putting an ice cube outside and watching it go from solid, to liquid to gas?

Have you asked your local water board if they have an educational pack you might use? I had a fab pack from ours many years ago

Water is a basis of everything we do and use and I have always remembered a poem I read when I was little.

If all the world was paper

And all the sea's were ink

If all the trees were bread and cheese

What would we have to drink?

Try small experiements with plants and seeds. What happens if they have water and what happens if they dont? Put food colour into water with white carnations in, its supposed to make the flower colour. Look at what lives in ponds, rivers and the sea. Look at the lables on food to see what contains water.

Find out aboit other countries too, how they use water and where they get it from.

• 2 weeks later...
our theme at the moment has become 'water', having talked about water and done our themed 'spider diagram' of what we know and want to find out the children have come up with lotsof questions about where does water come from and where does it go e.g. when it goes down the drain - then what?

has anyone got any good ideas for this, i'm a little stuck, or any ideas I can introduce during this topic that perhaps they won't have thought of?

have thought of saving water, how we use water around the home.

Lucie x

A fellow Lucie...hello :) igot a fantastic pack from Water aid called "water splash"..an early years education pack about water..www.wateraid.org

Particularly good was the water walk...i did it for an EYP assessment :)

feel free to message/email if I can help further

You could do something about all the different ways that water is used, e.g. drinking, watering plants, putting out fires (maybe speak to your local fire station and see if they can send an engine to visit- any excuse to get firemen in!!), swimming, washing etc.

You could put a bowl of water outside on a sunny day (if we ever get any!) and mark the water level then when it starts to go down, ask where they think it's going. I did this once and one of the children was convinced that a dog was coming and drinking it when we weren't looking! I never did convince her otherwise!

You could make your role play area into under the sea with long strips of blue, green and clear cellophane hanging from the ceiling for the children to 'swim' through and get them to make creatures to add. You could start with it realistic and maybe move on to more imaginative things like mermaids and sunken treasure chests.

You could have lots of blue, green and clear collage materials in your creative area for the children to make watery pictures, which could maybe go on the wall in your role play area.

Erm... can't think of anything else right now but you've made me want to do a water theme!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)