Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Mother's Day Inspiration!

has anyone got any lovely mother's day card and pressie ideas that they would be willing to share? I have done my old favourite for the last couple of years now and need some fresh ideas. My old favourite by the way in case it's useful for anyone was a teapot shaped card which the children decorated themselves and inside it said 'a lovely cup of tea for you on mother's day' and included a teabag.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

Deb

We've done that one for a few years with the poem 'sit and put your feet up, and have a cup of tea. I'll get my preschool story book, and snuggle on your knee' inside it with the teabag.

This year we are doing handbags, It's a simple fold-over design of card, fancy wrapping paper on the backside lapping over to the front as the 'opening bit'. Children are just going to decorate them however they want, paint, feathers, stickers, crayons, sequins, absolutely anything they like

we have planted a sunflower seed in a cup and decorated a holder for it, it will have a poem with it about caring and growing etc.!!but haven't made it up yet!!! the children then made a card with a sunflower on the front they seemed to really enjoy scrunching the tissue seeds onto the yellow painted print, they have also enjoyed watching the seeds sprout on the windowsill it's probably not too late to do as our seeds came up within a couple of days!! i am another fan of the tea bag /tea pot gift/card but also fancied something different this year!!

We do handprints with the handprint poem -

there used to be so many of my fingerprints to see,

on furniture and walls and things from grubby sticky me.

But if you stop to think a while you'll see I'm growing fast.

Those little handprints disappear, you can't bring back the past,

So here's a small reminder to keep not wipe away,

of tiny hands and how they looked to mae you smile someday.

They also decorate a pot how they like and they plant pansies.

We are doing the chn's foot prints on the front of the card with the message 'put your feet up' written by the chn. Several parents commented how lovely it was last year!

We've decided to let the children sponge paint a flower and then stick a small photo of their face as the center. The are then doing the writing on the front and inside. If the 2 year olds can't manage the writing we will let them have a go and then write properly what it should say. Manageress found it in an old nursery education magazine from 2007 I think.

Sam xx

Guest tinkerbell

Have done a 'mirror' idea in the past.

The idea is a looking glass with a circle of tinfoil(mirror)the children decorate around the edge and handle..the wordscould be

Look at the worlds best mum.

Tinkerbell

I gave mine (Reception/Year 1) a jug of daffodils and a selection of yellow/orange/green paints, paper, tissue paper. Each chose their own colour of backing paper (from pastel colours already pre-cut to A5 size) then made a picture of daffodils however they chose. A few requested a parent helper cut them some daffodil petal shapes and flower heads which they tended to arrange on their painted cards. We'll stick them on to card next week.

They do look lovely and one of my newest was inspired to do a big daffodil picture on a huge piece of tissue paper, sticking an art straw on for a stalk and painting it green.

We will be making a 'key fob'. Has a bell at one end then the children choose 10 beads from a selection, thread them on to the thread (we use elastic) and adult creates a knotted loop at other end. Inspired by a mother losing keys a couple years ago. And 10 beads (pony beads) are just about the right length.

Edited by StrawberyTwirl

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your wonderful ideas! I went in the end with the mirror idea (thanks tinkerbel!) with the children decorating around a shiny silver oval shape which they had cut out themselves and I provided them with the phrase 'mirror mirror on the wall, who's the best mum of all' printed on the computer. They then drew a picture of their mum inside and wrote 'you are' they were lovely.

Deb

No problem - we did do the handbags - covered card with wrapping paper threaded beads on ribbon for a handle and they stuck hearts on

This year we are doing handbags, It's a simple fold-over design of card, fancy wrapping paper on the backside lapping over to the front as the 'opening bit'. Children are just going to decorate them however they want, paint, feathers, stickers, crayons, sequins, absolutely anything they like

Thanks for the idea Cait, we made handbag cards too, and chocolate fudge flavour muffins that the children decorated with little chocolate stars, yummy and pretty :)

Hi everyone,

I know mothers day has now passed, but I thought it would be nice to share some ideas..

We decided to host a mothers day tea party (Friday just gone)... so during the week we...

painted portraits of mummies

made cupcakes

writing a label for their cake

Creating a daffodil table decoration - using card, cutting lines, stapling and then creating their own flowers to stick on the 'stems'

In mixed ability groups, children decided to add their own line to a mothers day poem.

When all this was complete, on the friday, the mothers arrived. Children then went to find their named cupcake to give to their mums (whilst a lovely ta who made mini cupcakes gave these to the chn). After some time with their mums/nans etc. We chose the children in the group who contributed to a poem to stand up with their portait whilst the teachers read out their poems.

To finish the morning, the children sang them mothers day related songs.

It was extremely successful and and we received lots of thank yous from the parents

Hope fully this will help for next year!!.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)