Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Key Worker

Hi,

I'm new to the forum but would like some advice on how to organise days where some children stay all day and then other days where they may only attend in the morning or afternoon.

The current structure is

Self registration

Continuous provision first thing with free flow for the children

Key worker group - Greet each other, day of the week and either sharing of news, area of learning focus, shared story, letters and sounds, ideas planning for next week or intro through a puppet of adult led play activity.

Continuous provision with free flow again and children can participate in the adult led activity if they want

Key worker group - a game linked to area of learning, story or letters and sounds.

Active song time before lunch

I want to include a review time and was thinking of including it when it is snack time along with getting in some number work

The thing is because the whole group size is small between 10-15 sometimes there is no other adult supporting. Therefore, if I run an adult led activity I cannot always observe the children's play. In the afternoons, I can observe if the children stay and I don't do any adult led.

I have seen alot of posts on here about how some nurseries pick 2 focuses to look at a week from the development matters to observe as well as noting incidental wow achievements. I've also seen that up to 9 children are focused on and then these will be used to plan extending provision. Which children do you choose? Are they all from the same key worker group or spanned across.

I know there have been lots of posts on here about organisation and fitting everything in, but I can't seem to find the answer i'm looking for. What concerns me most, is providing the opportunities to extend the learning of the children. For example, if i know a child is fascinated with animals but needs to make marks - should i put the extending provision out for all the class. Even if this is of no interest to some of the children.

I know there are lots of wonderful different practise going on and would appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Sara

The thing is because the whole group size is small between 10-15 sometimes there is no other adult supporting. Therefore, if I run an adult led activity I cannot always observe the children's play. In the afternoons, I can observe if the children stay and I don't do any adult led.

Sara

Hi Sara, are you on your own with 10-15 children? If that is correct, your setting is breaking the statutory requirements.

We always have 3 staff on however many children are in, with preferably 4 once we get over 15.

Even if you're a qualified teacher, 13 should be the max, and to be honest I'm not sure it would ever be sensible to open with only 1 adult for this age group. What if they need help going to the toilet - how do you keep an eye on the others?

Or have I misunderstood your post?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)